History of Porter County, 1882County history published by F. A. Battey and Company . . . .

Source Citation:
Goodspeed, Weston A., and Charles Blanchard. 1882. Counties of Lake and Porter, Indiana: Historical and Biographical. Chicago, Illinois: F. A. Battey and Company. 771 p.







WESTCHESTER TOWNSHIP is the historic ground of Porter County. Here the first settlement was made. Here civilized and savage joined hands and trod together the paths of peace. Here white and red were blended under the azure sky that bends its dome over all races and nations.

In 1822, a solitary "pale face" was seen by Indian eyes as he wended his way through the wilderness round about Lake Michigan. He walked without fear, for the red men knew him as a friend. Safety and a warm welcome were before, while weary leagues stretched away behind him toward his white friends. In his pocket was the following:


The bearer of this paper, Mr. Joseph Bailly (bä-Yé), a resident on the border of Lake Michigan near St. Josephs, has my permission to pass from this post to his residence aforesaid. Since Mr. Bailly has been in Detroit, his deportment has been altogether correct, and such as to acquire my confidence; all officers, civil and military, acting under the authority of the American Government will therefore respect this passport which I accord to Mr. Bailly, and permit him not only to pass undisturbed, but if necessary yield to him their protection.

                H. BUTLER,

Commandt. M. Territory and its Dependencies, and the Western District of U. Canada.

To all Officers of the A. Government."


During the war of 1812, the person to whom this passport was granted was taken prisoner by both the United States and the British soldiers, but did not enlist in either army. In his wanderings, he sought safety and opportunity to trade with the Indians. As the Indians slowly retired before the "Star of Empire" rapidly rising in the East, Joseph Bailly, the French Canadian trader, followed. In 1822, he halted on the north bank of the Calumet, in what is now Porter County. On the southwest quarter of the southeast quarter of Section 27, Township 37, Range 6 west, upon a beautiful bluff he constructed of unhewn logs the first cabin that was raised in the county. The Calumet here is clear and has high banks. It is here very unlike itself throughout the greater part of its course; for little more than a mile further down begin the marshes and morasses, through which it creeps for the remainder of its sluggish and crooked course. Here this solitary settler drew around him the natives from whom he purchased furs and other articles, for which he paid them articles of use and ornament. His business increased and his buildings multiplied until, in 1833, there were six or eight log cabins clustered about the first one that was built. The place is spoken of in "A Winter in the West," by a New Yorker, published in 1835.

Monsieur Bailly had wooed and won an Ottawa maid and brought his bride to reside at the post on the banks of the Calumet. Here they reared a family of four beautiful and accomplished daughters. Eleanor, the eldest, "took the veil" and was for a number of years Mother Superior of St, Mary's in Terre Haute. The second daughter married Col. Whistler, a resident of the county; the third married Mr. Howe, a Chicago banker, and now, a widow, resides with a maiden daughter upon the old homestead. Hortense, the youngest, married Joel Wicker, who was the first merchant at Deep River, Lake County. They had besides these four daughters, a son, who was born in 1817, and died in 1827. The whole family were devout Catholics and maintained their worship in the wilderness. For ten years, Joseph Bailly* and his hired Frenchmen were the only white persons in the township. The trading business was a species of barter, for the only money of the frontier was the skins of fur-bearing animals. A mink skin was usually $1, and raccoon, muskrat and other skins were some fractional part of a dollar. The values were, as they everywhere and always are, relative, and the various kinds of skins fluctuated in value as paper money does. The furs and other articles bartered from the Indians were transported to the lake and coasted to Mackinac in what were called Mackinac boats. These were row-boats, usually about thirty feet long. In "Wau-bun, or The Early Day in the Northwest," by Mrs. J. H. Kinzie, these boats are described as having

* This name is often incorrectly spelled Bailie.


in the center a framework of slight posts supporting a cover of canvas, with curtains at the side that could be raised or lowered after the fashion, perhaps, of those of a modern summer car. These small craft were run by man power and were forced to follow the sinuous shore line. A day's travel in one of them was from river mouth to river mouth, whether the distance was short or long.

As prosperity followed industry, Mr. Bailly found means to gratify to some extent the refined tastes that had so long feasted upon nature unaided by art. In 1830, a guitar added its mellow notes to the orchestra of nature, and, in 1836, the pioneer piano found its way with much difficulty to this frontier home. This instrument is still in existence. Mr. Bailly bought a large amount of land and planned to found a city. In 1834, the first lots were surveyed and some of them sold; but the death of Mr. Bailly in 1835, followed by the panic of 1837, caused the plan to be abandoned by his heirs. Bailly Town is now known only in history and tradition. The old homestead is preserved with great care by Mrs. Howe and her daughter, Miss Frances R., who live a life of refinement upon the sequestered spot, surrounded by the antique and the picturesque. Miss Frances R. Howe, and her sister Rose, who died some years since, have devoted their lives to the church, and their religious writings are quite widely read by Catholics. Here the family chapel that was built about 1826, and used for some years as a kitchen, is kept as a sanctuary and repaired to daily by mother and daughter for purposes of worship. The bell is rung as if a congregation were to convene at its call; and here the "two or three gather together" to feel the presence of the Spirit. This chapel is of logs, and by its excellent state of preservation indicates that it is able to stand the storms of half a century yet. Here stands the old home, built in 1831: of logs, but now looking younger than it did years ago to the casual glance, because of the mask of weather-boarding that it wears, and with which the "mistress of the Manse" seeks to save it from the ravages of time. Standing near are other buildings hoary with age, among which is a log hut in which the Indians used to store their property for safe keeping in the care of Mr. Bailly. Many heirlooms are here carefully preserved, among which are a bread pan or bowl made of the knot of a tree which has already seen its threescore and ten, and still seems "just as good as new;" a number of carved wooden ladles showed the Indian eye to beauty as well as use; a hexagon patchwork quilt sixty years old and bright enough to grace a "spare bed," attested alike the industry and frivolity of oar grandams. Half a mile north of the house is the family cemetery in which are interred the Catholic members of the family. Here, in 1827, Mr. Bailly buried his only son, a lad of ten years, and to his memory "he erected a huge cross


of oak timber some thirty feet high, and which towered above the surrounding forest, inasmuch as it was on a knoll or knob of land. Travelers used to see this cross in the wilderness, and often it was the first indication to them of the vicinity of civilized persons." Beside this cross, he built a small log cabin which he called "the chapel," to which he obliged all the family to repair on Sundays for prayer, for the purpose of forming in them the habit of going somewhere out of the home for worship, so that when churches came to be established they would not feel like staying away from services. The above-mentioned cross bore this inscription: "To-day, my turn; to-morrow, yours;" and also "Jesus Christ Crucified; have mercy upon us."

For almost ten years, Joseph Bailly was the only white settler in what is now Westchester Township. In 1833, Jesse Morgan and his family came. In 1834, came William Thomas, Sr., and family, William Gosset and family, Jacob Beck and family, John Hageman and family, John I. Foster and family, William Frame and family, Pressley Warnick and family, Elhanan Ranks, Alfred Marvin, Mr. McCoy, William Coleman, and Mr. Abbott. In 1835, a mulatto named Landy Gavin, who had paid $600 for his freedom, and who moved later to Michigan City, came and settled here. In the same year, Eli Hendricks, R. Cornell and others came. In 1833, a French fur trader located at what is now Sand Creek, or Morgan's Schoolhouse. His currency was of the liquid form known among the Indians as "fire-water." Of this, it is said that he bartered away eleven barrels in one winter; and it is further stated that only one death resulted directly from this large quantity of liquid fire. This death was the result of an affray.

The first birth of the township was in the Bailly family. The first child of unmixed Caucasian blood was Hannah Morgan, who was born in 1834. The first death among the whites was that of the son of Joseph Bailly, in 1827. The second death was probably that of the father, who followed the son ten years later. The first place of worship other than the fireside and the groves, was that already spoken of as being erected in 1827 by Mr. Bailly upon the death of his son. Mr. Bailly here gave religious instruction every evening for a time to some Christian Indians, translating to them from the French a history of the Bible. The book that he used is still in existence. The first marriage was probably that of Esther Bailly and John H. Whistler, which occurred in 1836. They were married in Chicago, but came here to live. The second was Samuel Thomas and Lucille Hale. There was a tradition among the Indians that at a remote date, Marquette, or some other of the early French explorers had a trading post near the mouth of Fort Creek or Wau-caw-gi-ink, as they called it. Here, in 1834, could be seen a burying-ground, and the indi-


cations of a battle that may have been fought years before. Here the old stage line crossed, and it is said that a stage sunk in the quicksand here, in 1836, and never was taken out. Here, in 1833, Mr. Joseph Morgan witnessed a funeral dance and feast of the Indians. It was upon the occasion of the death of the wife of Ching-wah (Lightning) one of the principal chiefs. About one hundred Indians assembled and danced and feasted in such style as, according to their ideas, befitted the occasion. Up to 1883, Western travel kept to the beach of the lake, fording the mouths of the streams. In 1831, a mail route was established from Detroit to Fort Dearborn. This ran through Jackson, Westchester and Portage, or rather through what now constitutes those townships. The mail was carried in knapsacks upon the backs of two soldiers until 1833, when stage coaches began to run over this line tri-weekly. Converse & Reeves were the first contractors on this route. Jesse Morgan settled on this route on Section 6, and kept the Porter County Stage House. In 1832, the soldiers going to and from the Black Hawk war passed over this route. The first election of this region, then a part of Waverly Township, was held on Saturday, April 30, 1836, in the town of Waverly, with William Gossett as Inspector. As already intimated, this region was formerly a part of Waverly Township.

Schools, Societies, Churches. -- The first school was a private one held in the home of Jesse Morgan, in the winter of 1833-31. The teacher was some one who was traveling through and wanted to stop for the winter. The first school held in a separate building was in a vacant trading-post on Section 5, Township 36, Range 5, during the winter of 1836. In this rude log cabin, greased paper was used for windows, and travelers who wished to rest for awhile were employed as teachers. Districts were formed as the population increased. The first ones formed built log houses; these gradually gave way to frame and brick. At present there are nine districts and nine houses, all of which are in fair condition. They are all frame except the one at Chesterton and the one at Hageman, these are of brick. The Chesterton Schoolhouse was built in 1879 at a cost of $6,000. It is a two-story brick, more noted for convenience than comeliness. The following is an incomplete list of the teachers of the township for some years. As the records are lost or destroyed, a complete list cannot be given. The name, year, and price paid per week are given. In District No. 1 -- 1866, Bertha Cronin, $1.75 and $2; 1867, S. D. Crane, $2; 1868, J. M. Yokey, $1.75; 1869, Andrew Case, $2; 1870, Sister Eugene, $1.83; 1877, R. A. Murphy, $1.50; 1878, R. A. Murphy, $1.50. In District No. 2 -- 1866, Alice J. Parke, $1.25, Angie Bay, $1.25; 1867, Angie Bay, $1.25; 1868, J. N. Thompson, $1.75, John C. Coulter, $1.66; 1869, C. D. Pelham, $1.50; 1870,


C. D. Pelham, $1.89 and $2; 1871, Hattie A. Heaton , $1.50, C. D. Pelham, $2.30; 1873, J. N. Thompson, $2.12 and $2; 1874, J.N. Thompson, $2, C. D. Pelham, $1.50 and $1.75; 1875, G. D. Pelham, $1.75; 1877, M. Furness, $1.50, F. G. Howell, $2; 1878, F. G. Howell, $2. In District No. 3 -- 1867, Mrs. S. E. Realf, $1.25; 1868, Cora E. Butler, $1.50; 1869, Cora E. Butler, $1.50, Ella Morse, $1.88; 1870, Ella Morse, $1.82, John C. Coulter, $2; 1871, John C. Coulter, $2, Kittie L. Peterson, $1.66; 1872, Lucy Furness, $1.66, W. L. Haight, $2; 1873, Angie M. Sawyer, $1.58, S. D. Hawthorne, $1.66; 1874, S. D. Hawthorne, $1.66, W. M. Winters, 1.75; 1875, Angie Sawyer, $1.75; 1876, V. E. Frisbie, $1.58; 1877, C. F. Schell, $2, John W. Rose, $2. In District No. 4 -- 1867, Caroline Teed, $1.25; 1868, Caroline Teed, $1.33, Cora E. Butler, $1.50; 1869, Celia Cary, $1.25; 1870, Celia Cary, $1.25, Laura Harper, $1.50; 1871, Laura Harper, $1.50, Mary Cary, $1.25; 1872, Cecelia Cary, $1.33; 1873, Zerilda J. Gosset, $1.50; 1774, E. S. Butler, $1.75, Cecelia Cary, $1.50; 1876, Lou E. Buck, $1.50, Celia Cary, $1.37 and $1.53; 1877, Celia Cary, $1.57, Mary Cary, $1.57. In District No. 5 -- 1866, 1868-69, Caroline Teed, $1.25; 1869, Helen M. Pelham, $1.25; 1871-72, Hattie A. Heaton, $1.50 and $1.66; 1873, Lou E. Buck, $1.25 and $1.50; 1874, Martha Case, $1.75; 1876-78, F. G. Howell, $2.25 and $1.50. In District No. 6 -- 1866-67, John G. Princell, $1.25 and $1.66; 1868, J. Telleen, $1.60, John C. Coulter, $1.60; 1869, Celia Johnston, $1.50 and $1.66; 1870, John J. Fredein, $1.66, Fred F. B. Coffin, $1.25; 1871, Emma Dolson, $1.66, A. Darling, $2; 1872, A. Darling, $2, W. L. Haight, $1.87; 1873-74, 0. A. Swanson, $1.75; 1874, Lou Furness, $1.50; 1875, Lou Furness, $1.75, L. E. Buck, $1.75, C. W. Hoffman, $2; 1876, Fred F. B. Coffman, $2.25; 1877, C. F. Scheldt, $2.25. In District No. 7 -- 1866, E. Owens, $1.75; 1867, Mr. McCormack, $1.75; 1868, Mary Miller, $1.50, J. N. Thompson, $1.75, Cecelia Cary, $1.50; 1869, Cecelia Cary, $1.50; 1870, Sister Mary Angelia, $1.50, Helen M. Pelham, $1.50; 1871, Eliva White, $1.50, Helen M. Pelham, $1.50; 1872, L. N. Gosset, $1.25; 1873, Samuel Rundquist, $1.33; 1874, C. Gaylord, $1.50; 1875, C. Gaylord, $1.50 and $1.25; 1876, Annie Ericson, $1.50; 1877, Martha Furness, $1.50. In District No. 8 -- 1874, Angie Sawyer, $1.50; 1875, Winnifred Furness, Dora Morrical and Mary Cary, $1.50; 1876, Mary Cary, $1.50 and $1.58, Martha Coffin, $1.50; 1877, Martha Coffin, $1.50. In District No. 9 -- 1876, Martha Furness, $1.25 and $1.58; 1877, Martha Furness, $1.58. The teachers of the township for the school year 1880-81 were: John Gonding, of Porter Station; John Nickols, at Hageman; Monroe Brown, at City West; Annie Ericson, at Morgan's; Miss Lou


Buck, at Bailly Town; Miss Alice Castlemant, at Salt Creek; M. L. Brummitt, at Furnessville; and M. L. Phares, at Chesterton. In 1882, the same corps is employed in the schools of the township except two, and in their places are Miss Lettie Bedell and August Gundering. The public schools of Chesterton begin the school year of 1882-83 with the following teachers: M. L. Phares, Principal; Miss Maria Brummitt, intermediate; and Miss Rose Murphy as primary teacher. This is an increase of one teacher over past years. The school, with an enrollment of 125, under the administration of Mr. Phares, is prospering finely.

There is at Chesterton the Che-gu-mink, I. O. O. F., No. 161. The organization was effected July, 19, 1855, at least that is the date of the charter. The following is a list of the charter members: J. B. Anderson, M. W. G. M.; A. H. Mathews, R. W. D. G. M.; J. H. Staily, R. W. G. W.; James E. Blythe, R. W. G. K; J. B. McCheney, R. W. G. L.; George B. Jocelyn, R. W. G. C.; John Caldwell, R. W. G. G.; P. A. Hackman, G. R. G. L. W. S.; C. Woolsey, G. R. G. L. W. S.; Milton Horndou, P. G. M.; Enos Hoover, P. G.; Benjamin Smith, P. G.; James DeRiggs, D. D. G. M.; Daniel Moss, G. R.; I. A. Crane, P. G.; H. G. Bosker, P. G.; James Hook, P. G. The present membership is fourteen, and the officers are: H. H. Tillotson, N. G.; C. D. Jackson, V. G.; David McHenry, Secretary, J. F. Taylor, Treasurer; J. P. Morgan, I. G., and H. Greene, R. S. to N. G. They own property valued at $1,500. Calumet Lodge, No. 379, of Masons, located at Chesterton, bears date of May 27, 1868. They commenced working under a dispensation March 9, 1868. The charter members were: George Rawson, W. M.; Benjamin Little, S. W.; John A. Harris, J. W.; L. B. Osborn, John C. Coulter, F. F. B. Coffer, Abram Fuller and John Thomas. The present officers are: John C. Coulter, W. M.; William Brummett, S. W.; Herbert Miles, J. W.; F. Michaels, Treasurer; Frank J. Templeton, Secretary; Delos D. Marr, S. D.; N. D. Curtis, J. D.; David McHenry, Tiler; Homer Tillotson and Benjamin Little, Stewards. The property of the lodge is valued at $400. The present membership is forty-four. There has been so far as known, but one death in the lodge, that of John A. Harris, one of the charter members. One of the members, F. Michael, has taken the highest degree of the order. Besides these societies, there have been organizations of the Good Templars, Sons of Temperance, and the Grange in Chesterton.

The first place of worship has already been spoken of. The first regular church was erected in 1857, at Chesterton, on the north side of the railroad by the Catholics. Rev. Father Kilroy organized the church. Much assistance was received from the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railroad when the church was started. Father Kilroy was succeeded


by Father Flynn of the order of the Holy Cross (C. S. C). He came to minister to the small congregation but a few times before the well-known Father Paul Gillen (C. S. C), took charge of the church. Then for some years Calumet Church had no priest from Notre Dame. It was next supplied by Rev. Father Lawler, who then was resident Catholic clergyman of La Porte, and came once a month to this church. Thus the church struggled along without any resident pastor until 1867, when they requested the Right Rev. Bishop Leurs to send a priest into their midst. The request was granted. They purchased a house and lot on the south side of the railroad, where the present property stands. In 1868, Rev. John Flynn became resident priest, and labored faithfully and zealously here and at Westville, until August 1, 1870, when at the age of twenty-eight he was called from his labors to his reward. He was highly esteemed not only by Catholics, but by all who knew him, and those who knew him best loved him most, and can never forget his words of wisdom. During Father Flynn's ministry, there were thirty baptisms, twenty-nine deaths, two marriages, and forty-three received confirmation. Father W. F. M. O'Rourke, who had come during Father Flynn's sickness, now took charge of the work. He was noted for his eloquence and learning, and many came to St. Patrick's Church from a distance to hear his sermons. Father Timothy 0' Sullivan, present pastor of May wood, Ill., and brother of P. O'Sullivan, of the Valparaiso Herald now attended Saint Patrick's congregation as a mission, and Calumet was again without a resident pastor. Father P. Koncz was the next priest, and now the town became known as Chesterton. By this time the little frame church was too small, and as Father Koncz was a Polander and unable to speak English or German fluently. Rev. M. O'Reilly, of Valparaiso, came to Chesterton on several occasions to assist in raising money with which to build a brick church. This was begun by the congregation, but finished by Rev. John F. Lang, present Secretary of the bishop of Fort Wayne. In the words of Father Kroll, "Father Lang, though small in stature, was nevertheless a man of great ability, and soon impressed the Chestertonians with the truth of the old adage 'precious articles are done up in small paroles.'" During his ministry, there were fifty-two baptisms, fifteen deaths, three marriages and thirty-nine confirmations. His health failing him, Father Wardy, a Frenchman by birth, and then at the advanced age of sixty-eight, took charge of the church. He was not long able to discharge the arduous duties that devolved upon him, and on the 21st of July, 1879, Rev. H. F. J. Kroll took charge. During Father Wardy's ministry there were twenty-three baptisms and sixteen deaths; during Rev. Kroll's there have been fifty-five baptisms, twenty-four deaths and eleven marriages. In 1870, the value of church property was


$500; in 1882, it is $13,000. A fine parsonage, that is to cost about $3,000, is now being erected under the supervision of the present efficient priest. The present church was built in 1876. The present membership is about sixty.

The Swedish Lutherans organized at Bailly Town in 1857, with about thirty communicants. The first minister was A. Audrain, the second Rev. Sjoblom, the third Rev. Nyquist, the fourth Rev. Sodergrim. None of these stayed more than four years. Andrew Challman, the present pastor, has been in charge seven years. The communicants now number 250. The present church edifice was erected in 1863, at a cost of $2,000. They own a nice parsonage valued at $1,000, besides school property valued at $1,000. The church at Chesterton was organized in 1879 by those who had formerly attended at Bailly Town. They at once built a fine brick church at a cost of $5,000, to which many of other denominations and those not members of any church contributed very liberally. This church is not yet completed. The number of communicants at first was 125, while now they number 227. Rev. Andrew Challman has had charge of both congregations, and as he is a genial and scholarly man, as well as a zealous minister, his efforts are well received at both places.

The Swedish Methodist Church of Chesterton was organized January 26, 1879. The church was built in 1880, at a cost of $600. The present value of all of the church property is $1,000. The first minister was C. J. Hisson, the second Martin Hess, the third H. L. Linquist, the fourth Andrew Farrell, who is the present pastor, and has had charge two years. The Presiding Elder, John Wigren, organized the church. At first, there were twelve members, now there are forty-five. All of these are Swedes, except Mrs. John B. Lundburg. The following is a list of the first members: John B. Lundburg, Swen, Johan Hjelm, Maria Charlotte Hjelm, August Victor Peterson, Anna Christina Peterson, Oscar A. Peterson, John Hylander, Anna Carolina Hylander, A. F. Gustafsen, Charles Jacobson, Christian Jacobson, Charles Hyden, August Melin, William Lawrence and Paulina Lawrence. The first Trustees of the Church were John B. Lundburg, August Melin and August Peterson, and these gentlemen are Trustees at present.

The Methodist Episcopal Church of Chesterton was started about the time that the war of the rebellion broke out. The structure was begun, but was allowed to stand unfinished for about two years. It was then completed at a cost of about $2,000. The following persons gave liberally toward its erection: D. N. Hopkins, Albert E. Letts, William Barney, John Whitman, Gilbert Morgan, O. Johnson, H. Hageman, J. W. Stewart and others. The present membership is eighty-two and the value of the church property is $2,000.


The German Lutheran Church of Chesterton was begun in the fall of 1880, and finished in April, 1881, at a cost of $2,000. The following is a partial list of those who contributed to the building fund: William Slont, Fred Lendermann, Charles Warnhoff, Henry Dorman, Mrs. Friday and Miss Allbright, $50 each; Charles Bankey, $40; Fred Lawrentz, $25, and others gave according to their means. The membership at first was twelve, now it is forty-five. Mr. Hammon was the first, as he is the only minister who has had charge. The pulpit is not filled at present.

There is at Furnessville a Methodist Society that holds its meetings in the schoolhouse. At the same place there is a Society of Christians or Disciples organized by Rev. William H. Furness in 1869. They also use the schoolhouse, where, at stated times, there assembles quite a large congregation.

Homicide. -- In 1838, occurred the "Stanes murder." Francis Stanes and John Pelton were working at a saw-mill near Arba Heald's, in La Porte County, and, staying at a place of bad repute, kept by a man named Palmer. It seems that Stanes had become involved, and to avoid his creditors, had concluded to leave the locality. So he started West with John Pelton as a guide. Before starting, he remarked that he had $101 of good money, besides the horse he was to ride. Subsequently, not far from Jesse Morgan's place, an Indian boy found in the woods a bundle of clothing tied in a handkerchief The boy's father came up to the spot and thinking that something must be wrong, began to look around, and soon saw in a hollow made by an up-turned tree, a boot protruding through some brush. Closer inspection revealed a dead man concealed in the cavity by means of brush and the water that had collected. The Indians in alarm, reported the discovery to the Indian camp, from which the news was carried to the whites. An inquest was held. John Pelton was one of the Coroner's jury, and remarked, during the inquest that, "The man who did that ought to be hung." The eye of suspicion was cast upon him; he was arrested and arraigned for trial. He had been tracked from the scene of the murder, at least the tracks corresponded to his; a split hoof helped in following the horse; he was seen at the "Old Maid's Tavern" cleaning his saddle, and soon afterward was seen with a new one; a knife found in his pocket showed a nick corresponding to places upon the club that was cut for the purpose of finishing the foul deed. It seems that Stanes was shot from his horse by a ball fired from behind; was shot once after falling, and then beaten over the head with a club. Pelton, when asked where he had left Stanes, stated a place far beyond where the body was found, and the tracks showed that the horse which Stanes had been riding, had not gone beyond the place where the body was found. Such a strong chain of circumstantial evidence was forged


about Pelton that he was found guilty, sentenced and hung, although he protested his innocence to the last. This is the only instance of capital punishment that has ever occurred in the county.

Villages. -- In the spring of 1835, the town of Waverly was laid out by John Foster, Surveyor, on land owned by William Gosset. This was about two miles northwest of the site of Chesterton and not far from the location of Baillytown. As the original Baillytown was no more than a location, Waverly may be considered the first town in the township and county. It is said that as much as $10,000 was expended in improvements. In 1838, the town was swept by a forest fire and never rebuilt. About 1836, City West was started at or near the mouth of Fort Creek. Then travel was confined to the beach, but as the route was changed the town went down to start up farther from the lake, but it never became a place of any importance. Porter, now called Old Porter, was started when the Michigan Central Railroad was built to this point. The first house was built by John Richards for a store; his son occupied it for a short time, when a man named Charles La Hyne bought it and used it as a dwelling. After this it changed hands a number of times before it was bought by Joseph Swanson, who used it as a storeroom until 1880, when he built his present building, which he now occupies with a general stock of goods. The second house was built by Fred Michael for a store and dwelling; it still stands, and is used as a dwelling. The third house was built by Fred Michael for a dwelling; it is now used as a stable. The large frame storeroom now occupied by Mr. Michael was built by him in 1864. In this country store he keeps a general stock of from $6,000 to $7,000. We speak of this as a country store, for the reason that the station was moved to New Porter or Hageman in 1872, and there are only a few families living in the immediate vicinity. A. E. Whilten held the post office from the time that it was established up to 1872, the time of its removal to Hageman. From that time for about a year Porter was without a post office. In 1873, it was re-established with Fred Michael as Postmaster; he still handles the mail. This is often called Baillytown, but not properly so called.

The town of Hageman was started by Henry Hageman in 1872. It was regularly laid out by William DeCourcey, surveyor, in 1880. The post office was established in 1873 with Mr. Manhart in charge. He held the office for two years, when Henry Dalbert took charge of it and has held it since. The town has at present two stores (one kept by Davert and the other by Pillman Brothers), a blacksmith shop, a millinery store kept by Mrs. Howe, and a boarding house kept by Mrs. McDonald. The population is about two hundred and fifty, most of whom are engaged directly or indirectly in carrying on the extensive brick-making estab-


lishments found here. Since the station is called Porter and the post office Hageman, with Porter Post Office but little over a mile away, much confusion arises in mail and shipping. It is earnestly desired by the citizens that a change be made so as to avoid this confusion. A post office was opened at what is now known as Furnessville July 9, 1861, with Edwin L. Furness as Postmaster. His commission was signed by Montgomery Blair. The office remained in his hands until 1874, when he resigned in favor of C. S. Bradley, who was appointed and served until July, 1878, when Miss Winnie Furness was appointed. She held the office until the fall of 1881, when it passed to Frank Templeton, who is station agent and Postmaster at present. This is not a regularly laid out town. At first the place was called Murray's Side Track, and after that for a time Morgan's Side Track. The first frame house was built here in 1853 by Morgan, and the second, in 1855, by E. L. Furness. The first store was started by E. L. Furness in the basement of his house in 1856, and run by him until 1878, when he closed out the stock. The second store was started by H. R. McDonald about 1870, and run by him about two years. After that there was no store for some time. At present there is a small stock of goods kept by William Lewry, who lives over the line in Pine Township. He has also a blacksmith and wagon shop; another blacksmith shop is run by August Earnest. The first school here was taught in a 12x16 foot shanty by Miss Sophia Graves. Afterward the school was moved to another board shanty one-fourth of a mile farther east, and from that to the upper story of a wagon shop, which is now used as a blacksmith shop. Then, in 1854, a schoolhouse, 16x18 feet in size, was half-way between Furnessville and City West; it is now used as a barn. In 1867, the present frame was built at a cost of $500. There has been no liquor sold here since 1852. The lumber and wood business has been an important industry. There have been as many as three saw-mills at one time -- McDonald, Morgan and Furness were the owners. The "Wide Awakes"
organized in 1878.

What is now Chesterton has been known successively as Coffee Creek, Calumet and Chesterton. It took its first name from the creek that flows by it on the east. The creek was named Coffee Creek from the fact that at an early day a teamster lost a bag of coffee when crossing it at a time of high water. Its second name it took from the Calumet River, and its third from the name of the township by derivation. The Coffee Creek Post Office was established in 1833, on Section 6, and placed in the hands of Jesse Morgan. It was kept by Mr. Morgan most of the time until 1852, when it was moved to the present site of Chesterton, but was still Coffee Creek Post Office, although the place was called Calumet. In 1853, the


office passed to D. H. Hopkins from Mr. Morgan. Mr. Hopkins held it for some time, when William Thomas was appointed. From him the office went back to Mr. Hopkins. After Mr. Hopkins, John Taylor held the office for a short time. J. B. Bostwick took charge and remained in office ten years, when the present incumbent, Dr. D. D. Marr was placed in charge. He has now held it about two and a half years. The first house in Chesterton proper was built in 1852 by Luther French. It was known as the Sieger House. It was moved, but is still standing, and is now occupied by Mr. Ingraham. The second was built by a Mr. Enoch. The L. S. & M. S. R. R. was completed to the place in 1852. At the close of the year 1852, there were perhaps twenty small houses. It will be remembered that the place was not known as Chesterton at the time last mentioned. It was not until 1853 or 1854, that the name of the post office was changed from Coffee Creek to Calumet. There was a post office at "New" City West, about a mile south of the mouth of Fort Creek, where "Old" City West was located, and at the time above indicated, this office was consolidated with the Coffee Creek office and located at what is now Chesterton, under the name of Calumet. The town and office continued to be called Calumet until a short time after the railroad was completed to this point, when, on account of confusion arising from an Illinois town named Calumet, it was changed to Chesterton. When the railroad was pushed through to this point, the post office was a mile and a half east, at Coffee Creek, but it was moved up at once, and retained its name until the time already indicated. In two years after the completion of the road, the town had a population of 300, most of whom were Irish.

It is said that about this time there were nineteen places where liquor was kept for sale. The growth of the town had been very slow until within the last few years, during which a number of very substantial improvements have been made. The present population is about six hundred. The Northern Indiana Hotel was built in 1855 or 1856, by Leroy Brown, and kept by him for five or six years. After this it was kept by the widow and also by a son of Mr. Brown. After them, C. O. Seamons took charge of it, from whom it passed into the hands of the present landlord, Gus Johnson, who has been in possession about a year. The first house of entertainment was opened by the Thomas heirs soon after the town started. The Central House was moved by Mr. Hopkins from City West about thirty years ago. It has passed through many hands, but has this year (1882) had a brick front built to it, and a general refitting that gives it the appearance of having renewed its youth. Here Landlord Shanks and his hospitable lady pay the most kindly attention to guests, and spread before them the most palatable and substantial


viands. The first brick building in town was built by Young & Wolf, who still own it. It was built in 1874, and has been occupied by Dr. H. Greene with a stock of drugs. Mr. Pinney and the Odd Fellows, in 1879, built a substantial brick, since occupied by them. P. A. Johnson built his brick block in 1877. Abner Harper is now building next door east of the Central House. The first saw-mill here was built by Brown & Morgan in 1834; it went into the hands of Benton, who sold to Wood, of Albany, who sold to Ogden, of Chicago, who sold to Enos, who sold to William and John Thomas. A saw-mill was built here about nine years ago by Thomas Johnson, who in about a year sold to Mr. Ingraham, who in two years sold to Thomas Blackwell, having in the meantime added a grist-mill. Mr. Blackwell has still further enlarged the mill by adding a planing department. He values it now at $10,000, and expects soon to enhance its value by fitting it up to work by the "new process." The following is a list of the physicians who have located here, with the dates as near as attainable: Dr. H. Greene, 1852 to 1882; Dr. Kyle, 1855 to 1857; Dr. Bosley, 1856 to 1867; Dr. Saulsberry, 1865 to 1866; Dr. Raff, 1866 to 1872; Dr. Dakin, 1866 to 1867; Dr. Haskins, 1868 to 1872; Dr. Heaton, 1868 to 1869; Dr. Jones, 1869 to 1880; Dr. Goodwin, 1871 to 1872; Dr. Morrical, 1870 to 1879; Dr. Marr, 1875 to 1882; Dr. Richards, 1879 to 1880; Dr. Miller, 1881 to 1882, and Dr. Riley, 1882. The following are some of those who have located here for a time in the law: William Johnston, E. D. Crumpacker, William Pagan, F. W. Howell, John W. Rose and E. Wood, who has located here during the present year.

Industries, etc. -- The central and southern parts of the township are well adapted to agriculture. The heavy forests that covered the region have been a fruitful source of wealth. Numerous portable saw-mills have been located temporarily in different places. Brick-making is now the leading manufacturing interest. This industry is located chiefly in Hageman. Mr. Owen started what was known as the Kellogg brick yards in 1872, and soon bought an interest in a yard which was then owned by Moulding. Soon afterward the firm became Harland & Owen. They bought land and started steam works with a capacity of 30,000 per day. Later, Hinchcliff bought out Harland, and the firm now is Hinchcliff & Owen. They have two yards at Hageman, in which they can make 65,000 per day. They employ about one hundred hands. Y. Moulding has two yards. He began in 1871 in partnership with Edward Harlan, with whom he continued until 1878, since which time, he has been alone. He started a second yard in 1880. The present capacity of both yards is 65,000 per day. They make both common and pressed brick. From eighty to ninety hands are employed in both yards. The Chicago and


Philadelphia Press Brick Company was one of the first yards to start. They have a capacity of 30,000 per day of press and common brick. They are now using one of Caldwell's drying apparatus. It is their intention to start another yard next year. There is an almost inexhaustible supply of first-class clay, and Hageman has here a resource which is as good as a gold mine. The Hillstrom Organ Factory of Chesterton, established in 1880 by C. O. Hillstrom, is an important establishment. They now employ thirty men and turn out about eighteen organs a week. They aim to keep up with the best makes in the market.

Early Elections. -- At the August election in Westchester Township, 1836, the following men voted: Pressley Warnick, William Calhoun, William Thomas, Milton Smith, Abraham Ball, William Coleman, Samuel Thomas, William Ball, Jesse Morgan, David Cook, Eli Hendricks, Lewis Todhunter, Rufus Bundy, James Thomas, Elijah Casteel, Abraham Holt, Ashbel Goodrich, Enos Thomas, George Phillips, Samuel Haviland and William M. Coy; total, twenty-one. The election was held at the house of Samuel Haviland, with Enos Thomas, Inspector, and Willam Thomas and Eli Hendricks, Judges. The above is taken from the records on file in the Clerk's office at Valparaiso. It is proper to observe here that either many of the early settlers lived for short periods in various townships, or else they were in the habit of not only voting within their precinct, but outside of it also, for the names of old settlers appear upon the original official election returns for the same election in more than one township. It is quite probable that the officers of elections were not very careful in those days as to whether those voting actually resided within their own townships or not. A residence in the county was probably deemed sufficient.



Transcribed by Steven R. Shook, February 2012


CSS Template by Rambling Soul