The Vidette-Messenger Centennial EditionThe 1936 special edition celebrating Porter County's centennial year . . . .

The following article has been transcribed from the August 18, 1936, issue of The Vidette-Messenger, published in Valparaiso, Indiana. This particular special edition focuses on Porter County's centennial celebration and contains a 94-page compendium of Porter County history up to that time.

Return to the index of articles from The Vidette-Messenger's Porter County Centennial special edition.

Source: The Vidette-Messenger, Valparaiso, Porter County, Indiana; August 18, 1936; Volume 10, Section 4, Page 4.



The Tremont Hotel, pictured above, was one of the first hotels in Valparaiso. It was built on the site of the present Farmers' State Bank building by Jeremiah Hamel, and part of the building was used by him as a general merchandise store. Back of the building was a lovely garden, flowers and small fruit, and oak trees. Afterward it was used as a hotel. In 1854, James C. Maxwell was operator of the Tremont house. In that year he announced that an omnibus would run daily from his hotel to connect with cars on the Michigan Central and Michigan Southern and Northern Indiana railroads. At the same time Molnay Carr was running a stage line between Valparaiso and Crown Point. In 1855 Job D. Bonnell, who carried the mail between Valparaiso and Crown Point announced he would run a two-horse carriage for the accommodation of passengers. During the Fremont campaign in 1856, the Tremont house was changed to Fremont house. The building later was destroyed by fire. In the foregoing picture the first man at the left is Erasmus Galbreath; the third man is a Civil war veteran named McConnell; next to him is a Mr. Brown, proprietor of the hotel, and the last man is Nigger Hank, a barber.

Article transcribed by Steven R. Shook


CSS Template by Rambling Soul