The Vidette-Messenger Centennial EditionThe 1936 special edition celebrating Porter County's centennial year . . . .

The following article has been transcribed from the August 18, 1936, issue of The Vidette-Messenger, published in Valparaiso, Indiana. This particular special edition focuses on Porter County's centennial celebration and contains a 94-page compendium of Porter County history up to that time.

Return to the index of articles from The Vidette-Messenger's Porter County Centennial special edition.

Source: The Vidette-Messenger, Valparaiso, Porter County, Indiana; August 18, 1936; Volume 10, Section 4, Page 23.


One of City's Fine Old Homes Serves As House of Worship and Parsonage

Trinity church was organized on Trinity Sunday, 1934, by one hundred and fifty-eight adults, up to that time affiliated with the local Immanuel Lutheran church, Missouri Synod. Application of the new congregation for synodical membership in the Indiana Synod of the United Lutheran Church in American brought a committee of representative men to Valparaiso to investigate, and resulted in unequivocally and unanimously recommending the pastor, Rev. George F. Schutes, and congregation, for unqualified membership, with special privilege to use the official name of the United Lutheran church in American before ratification could be made at the annual synodical convention in June of 1935. At the latter convocation the pastor also applied for clerical membership and with the congregation was solemnly installed by the President of Synod, Dr. H. E. Turney with the assistance of other synodical officers, in Holy Trinity church, Fort Wayne, Indiana, according to the regulations of the United Lutheran church, which ecclesiastic organization is a merger of American Lutheran synods, the history of most reaching back to pre-Revolution times.

At the inception of the congregation the property on the northwest corner of Chicago and Washington streets (the old Vincent homestead) was purchased and remodelled into an attractive place of worship with all churchly appointments. Living quarters for the pastor are on the second floor of the building. Trinity church is unsupported from outside sources, meeting its own expenses, contributing to home and foreign missions and supporting the charitable and educational work of the church at large. It has a choir, a live Luther League (young people), an active women's society (Trinity Guild), a Women's Missionary and a Men's Brotherhood organization, a Sunday school with graded lessons and Bible study, as well as separate weekday Bible instruction classes for adults and juniors.

Article transcribed by Steven R. Shook


CSS Template by Rambling Soul