The Vidette-Messenger Centennial EditionThe 1936 special edition celebrating Porter County's centennial year . . . .

The following article has been transcribed from the August 18, 1936, issue of The Vidette-Messenger, published in Valparaiso, Indiana. This particular special edition focuses on Porter County's centennial celebration and contains a 94-page compendium of Porter County history up to that time.

Return to the index of articles from The Vidette-Messenger's Porter County Centennial special edition.

Source: The Vidette-Messenger, Valparaiso, Porter County, Indiana; August 18, 1936; Volume 10, Section 2, Page 10.


Many Country Clubs Have Been Organized By Local Sportsmen; Only One Survives

Country clubs have been organized at various times near Valparaiso, but the only survivor to date is the Valparaiso Country club founded early in 1922.

Other clubs which have been organized and died were the Hillcrest Country club at Long Lake, the Summervale Country club, located two miles west of Valparaiso, on the Summer farm, the Lincolnvale and Lincoln Hills, its successor. Valparaiso and Gary residents comprised its membership.

J. H. McGill was the first president of the Valparaiso Country club when it was organized. J. M. Oldham was vice-president; C. W. Boucher, treasurer, and L. H. Trott, secretary.

The club purchased an eighty acre farm owned by John Kuehl for $10,000, located one-half mile east of Bull's Eye lake, northeast of the city.

Here under the supervision of the late Harlow Smith, a nine-hole golf course was built. The official opening of the club was held on August 30, 1922.

In 1925, the club awarded the contract to the Foster Lumber and Coal Company for the construction of a new club house at a bid of $15,444. When completed, the building cost $20,000, $5,000 of the amount being an outright gift by Mr. Foster.

The new building was dedicated on November 12, 1925 with a dinner-dance program. Rev. E. J. Mungovan was the speaker of the evening. The Melody Makers of LaPorte provided the music. Harold Ridgely, of the Dicksmore Country club, Homewood, Ill., the new club pro, was introduced.

The Ladies Auxiliary of the Valparaiso Country club was formed on July 23, 1922, at a meeting held at the home of Mrs. V. R. Despard. Mrs. Despard was named president; Mrs. T. L. Applegate, secretary, and Mrs. H. W. Harold, Mrs. J. H. McGill, Mrs. F. A. Turner, Mrs. Harry Pagin, Mrs. M. R. Lowenstine, Mrs. T. L. Applegate, Mrs. V. R. Despard, Mrs. O. F. Helvie, Mrs. Harlow Smith, Mrs. O. W. Boucher and L. H. Trott, board of managers.

At the time of its organization the Valparaiso Country club had 100 members, this being the number decided upon by the club as being sufficient to sustain the club revenues.

At one time, however, the membership was increased, and the roster numbered 150. Today it is back to the 100 mark.

Harold C. Ridgely, club pro, has been associated with the club since 1925.

Harry Johnson served as secretary of the club for eight years.

Lowell Dowdell is the present president of the club and Charles Trump is secretary, serving for the last three years.

The Hillcrest Country club was organized on October 6, 1914. Henry Kinsey Brown was named president
; William Daly, vice-president; George R. Douglas, secretary; W. H. Gardner, treasurer; W. J. Henry, L. E. Myers, P. L. Sisson, Abe Lowenstine, A. W. Fehrman, Henry Kinsey Brown, W. H. Gardner, George R. Douglas and William Daly, directors.

At a meeting held May 12, 1915, the members of the club decided to abandon the project and return the subscriptions to stockholders. The club was incorporated with a capital stock of $20,000. Officers of the club at time of disbandment were: William Daly, president; Henry Kinsey Brown, treasurer, and William J. Henry, secretary. The club grounds will be sold.

Gold courses have also been maintained for a number of years at Forest Park, just northwest of the city, and at Wauhob Lake.

Article transcribed by Steven R. Shook


CSS Template by Rambling Soul