Thomas Cole Shepard, Obituary/Death NoticePorter County obituaries and death notices . . . .

Thomas Cole Shepard

Death of Thomas C. Shepard.
Thomas Cole Shepard departed this life at his country residence, one and a half miles southeast of Medford, Wis., at 6 o'clock p. m., July 28, 1884, after a lingering illness which he bore with a true Christian fortitude.

Deceased was born in Tolland, Hamden Co., Mass., May 8th, 1811, in which state his early manhood was spent until 22 years of age. He was by trade a carpenter and joiner, but spent most of his early life as teacher in various schools, being at his demise 73 years, 2 months and 20 days old. He came to Valparaiso, Ind., in the fall of 1854, having previously lived in New York and Ohio. In the winter of the same year he united with the Presbyterian church of Valparaiso by profession of faith, and ever lived a consistent christian life.

Was married to Rosanna Fairchild July 23d, 1857, to them having been born four children, three sons and one daughter, all of whom still remain to mourn his loss, but also to find comfort and great consolation in thinking of the untarnished name, unchanging love and never dying example of a true, earnest, upright, conscientious Christian life, by which, if copied and followed by one and all, they may join him in his Father's house, to once more be an unbroken family, as until now, they have been upon earth. Oh, thrice blessed thought! "There is no parting there." How sweet the thought. What consolation to the believing and trusting mind, when called to part with dear ones; when we have seen the inanimate and loved form laid in their narrow home, to feel assuredly that the spirit has returned to God who gave it, that the separation is not forever to those who love the Lord.

Deceased has at different times during life held various offices of trust, the last of which was that of recorder of Porter Co., for a period of four years, the office being in the city of Valparaiso, at which place he had previously been an active, energetic citizen for the space of more than twenty years. A year or more after the expiration of this work he came to the conclusion that indoor occupation was detrimental to his own health, and desiring to try the effect of change of climate for some members of his family, he disposed of his grocery store and in the spring of 1882 came with them to Medford, Taylor Co., Wis., establishing themselves one and a half miles southeast of said village, May 25th of the same year. Thus removing him still further from his native state, which he had but once visited since 1833. In 1876 (centennial year) accompanied by his wife he took a very pleasant tour through the east, going to Philadelphia and New York, visiting his many relatives and friends in Massachusetts and Connecticut, returning home by way of America's great natural wonder, the Niagara Falls.

On the 7th of Feb., 1883, he was taken suddenly ill with cramping and colic of the kidneys. For more than three months his life hung, as it were, by a mere thread. About July he began to mend, was very confortable and around, walking two or three times to the village and returning toward evening. But as the extreme cold weather advanced he began to fail, troubled more than ever by difficulty in breathing, and then as termed by his attending physician, Dr. Atwell, "a gradual decay of nature."

His words during his sickness were full of Christian steadfastness in his Master. He left without a parting word; his mind having wandered about ten days before his demise, although he seemed to understand all said directly to him the last day of his life but was unable to speak; he was the last of his father's family of 14 laid to rest, all trusting in a Saviour, and the first to go from his own family of six. Truly it recalls, to the mind this passage, "The first shall be last and the last shall be first."

His funeral was held on Wednesday, July 30th, at ten a, m, Services conducted by Rev. Chas. Barker pastor of the Methodist church, of Medford. The last words of the departed to the Rev. gentleman being "I'am fully trusting in God."

His remains were interred for the time being at the Medford Cemetery, but will be removed at the earliest convenience to his old home in Valparaiso, and laid by the side of his brother, as was his wish.

Dear man! He has gone home where there is no more pain, no sorrow, no death.

Asleep in Jesus, Blessed Sheep.

"We shall sleep, but not forever,
There will be a glorious dawn,
We shall meet to part, no never,
On the resurrection morn."

Newspaper: Porter County Vidette
Date of Publication: August 7, 1884
Volume Number: 28
Issue Number: 32
Page: 5
Column(s): 6

Key to Newspaper Publication Locations:
    Newspapers Published in Chesterton, Porter County, Indiana
                Chesterton Tribune
                The Tribune
                Westchester Tribune

    Newspapers Published in Valparaiso, Porter County, Indiana
                Porter County Vidette
                Practical Observer
                Valparaiso Practical Observer
                Vidette and Republic
                Western Ranger

The obituaries and death notices appearing on this website have been transcribed exactly as they were originally published in the newspaper. Please note that we do not provide photocopies or digital scans of obituaries and death notices appearing on this website.

Obituary/death notice transcribed by Steven R. Shook


CSS Template by Rambling Soul