George Quartermass, Obituary/Death NoticePorter County obituaries and death notices . . . .

George Quartermass


George Quartermass was born at Crown Point, Essex County, N. Y., February 19th, 1813, and at his death was in his 71st year.

Removed to Canada with his father's family at the age of 12 years. Married to Emily Harris, in Oxford County, Canada West, January 2d, 1839, which union subsisted until September 18th, 1858, when she died, leaving behind her eight children, two of whom have since died.

Removed to Wheeler, in this county, late in the fall of '58, and resided there until his decease. In the spring of 1865 he was married to Sarah Janes, who survives him.

Mr. Quartermass was occupied during the greater part of his life in farming, and in this pursuit was very successful, having become possessed at one time of three fine farms in Canada. Having been induced to embark in mercantile business and having unwisely reposed too much confidence in other those earthly possessions were soon swept away from him and he was left in poverty. He however began anew with energy and was so blessed of God in his efforts as not only to be kept above want but enabled from time to time to liquidate the debts which remained unpaid at the time of his failure. This, with an integrity very rare in these days, he continued to do long after he removed to this country.

During his residence in Canada he was for a number of years a member of the town council in the locality to which he belonged. He was also by appointment of Lord Elgin, Governor-General of Canada, appointed to a Captaincy in the Canadian militia and performed the duties of that office for some time.

As to his religious life, he was brought up in the Congregational Church, but subsequently residing in a community in which there was no Congregational church, he and his first wife united with the Free Will Baptist church. On the 9th of March, 1860, he united with the Presbyterian church of Valparaiso of which he was a member at the time of his death. He was quiet and unobtrusive, but firm in his religious convictions. Diligent in attendance upon public and private worships, a student of the Bible and a man of faith and prayer, he adorned his profession by a godly and consistent life, and lived in the enjoyment of a good hope of the glory to be revealed hereafter.

After his sudden decease his room was found as he had shortly before left it. His arm chair was by his bedside and on it an open Bible indicating that to the last as had been his custom, he had meditated upon its pages the last thing before going to sleep and the first thing after awaking in the morning. This incident will illustrate the nearness of his life to God and the brightness of the hope that burned within him. Nor was his religion that of profession and emotion only. It has the test of the world's scrutiny to such an extent that none doubted the sincerity of his convictions. Thus he was not unprepared for the death that came to him unexpectedly and in an hour when he was not aware.

After attending to the morning milking of his cows he was returning across the R. R. tracks. Trains were passing on either road, but his attention being turned to the one on the Fort Wayne road he stepped back near enough to the Nickel Plate to be struck by the cross-beam of the locomotive. Running at a rapid rate it came in contact with his left side just back of the heart and his death was instantaneous and without pain. The accident occurred on Wednesday morning the 8th inst. The remains were brought to Valparaiso to the residence of his daughter, Mrs. William Johnston. The funeral services were conducted at the Presbyterian church on Saturday at 1 p. m., by Rev. Robert Beer assisted by Rev. E. S. Riley and Elder Burgner, of Wheeler, each paying fitting tributes to the worth of the deceased.

Mr. Quartermass, though past three score and ten years, was still in vigorous health and had a fair promise of years of activity. But he had lived to see all his children settled in life and prosperous, and had grandchildren grown to maturity. His eldest son, Mr. Reuben Quartermass, was not able to reach here for the funeral services, nor Mrs. Quartermass who has been absent since last March in search of health, but who had expected to rejoin her husband here in a few days. The remains were interred in the new cemetery, being followed to the grave by many friends both from Valparaiso and Wheeler.

Newspaper: Porter County Vidette
Date of Publication: August 16, 1833
Volume Number: 27
Issue Number: 33
Page: 1
Column(s): 6

Key to Newspaper Publication Locations:
    Newspapers Published in Chesterton, Porter County, Indiana
                Chesterton Tribune
                The Tribune
                Westchester Tribune

    Newspapers Published in Valparaiso, Porter County, Indiana
                Porter County Vidette
                Practical Observer
                Valparaiso Practical Observer
                Vidette and Republic
                Western Ranger

The obituaries and death notices appearing on this website have been transcribed exactly as they were originally published in the newspaper. Please note that we do not provide photocopies or digital scans of obituaries and death notices appearing on this website.

Obituary/death notice transcribed by Steven R. Shook


CSS Template by Rambling Soul