Delos D. Marr, Obituary/Death NoticePorter County obituaries and death notices . . . .

Delos D. Marr

After An Eight Months' Fight For Life Dr. D. D. Marr Gives Up The Struggle and Joins The Silent Majority.
A Brief History of His Life and Sickness.

Dr. Delos D. Marr is no more. After and long and painful illness, he pass away at 11:05 Thursday night, Sept. 12th at his home in Chesterton, his ending being a painless and peaceful one. He retained consciousness until almost the last breath, and spent his last few hours in bidding farewell to his friends.

The funeral was held on Sunday, Sept. 15th, under the auspices of the Calumet Lodge, A. F. & A. M. of which the deceased was a prominent member. The services were conducted in the Swedish Lutheran church, by Revs. Walter Scott, of the Episcopal church of Laporte, and W. Hall, of the M. E. Church, of Chesterton, beginning at one o'clock.

On the morning of the day of the funeral, a heavy rain began to fall, which continued nearly all day, but despite this fact, a large number of Valparaiso's most prominent citizens drove over to pay their last respected to the distinquished dead. A special train from Laporte brought a large number of relatives and friends of the deceased from that city. Hundreds of people from Chesterton, Porter, and surrounding country swelled the crowd, making one of the largest funerals ever held in our town. The funeral cortege formed at the family residence headed by the Chesterton Coronet Band, and followed by the Macabees and Masonic societies of Chesterton, Laporte and Valparaiso, and the family and relatives of the deceased, and citizens in carriages. The sad procession moved to the church, where Rev. Scott delivered and eloquent funeral sermon, as did Rev. Hall a fervid prayer. The Masonic society then conducted a part of the rites of their funeral ceremony, which were concluded at the grave.

The vast congregation of mourners then filed past the coffin, and took a last look at the familiar features of Dr. Marr before they were consigned to the grave. Leaving the church, the funeral train moved to the cemetery, the band playing a dirge, the soulful strains which seemed to voice the feelings of the mourning multitude. At the grave the masons conducted the ceremonies, which were very impressive, and laid the remains of their brother in their last earthly resting place.

Dr. D. D. Marr was born July 28th, 1852, in Laporte county, on a farm near Stillwell, and was one of eight children, six boys, and two girls, born to William and Mary Marr, Delos being the youngest of the sons. When 12 years old, his parents moved to Laporte, where he entered the public school, and acquired a common school education, good enough to enable him to secure a teacher's license. Young Marr, then began teaching school, and by dint of strict economy, saved enough money to enable him to enter college at Ann Arbor, from which he afterwards graduated. He then returned to Laporte, and began the study of medicine under Dr. Keene, and finally entered the Rush Medical College at Chicago, from which he graduated, being then in his twenty-third year.

Our subject then began life in real earnest. He first located in Wheaton, Ill., where he practiced medicine for a year. He then located in Chesterton, removing from Wheaton in the Spring of 1875. The first few years Dr. Marr experienced the usual trials and met the same obstacles that meet young physicians who are without financial backing, but his persistency and energy won for him the confidence of some of our substantial men, whose influence was exerted in his behalf. After practicing medicine about four years, he entered the drug business, starting in a small way, and increasing his stock until he had a well-stocked store.

Dr. Marr was an ardent republican and an active politician. He had been in Chesterton but a short time before he assumed the leadership of his party in Westchester township, which position he ably filled and firmly held until the day of his death. In recognition of his services for the party he was appointed postmaster of Chesterton in 1881 serving as such until August 27, 1885, when he was removed by the democratic administration.

Dr. Marr was married on October 7, 1879, in Laporte, to Miss Jennie DeMotte, of Toledo. This union was blessed by a son, Glen, who is now 9 years old.

Dr. Marr was first taken ill in the early part of January of this year. The symptoms began by periods of restlessness and sleeplessness, accompanied by severe pains in his back. Night after night he would walk the floor until morning. On April 6th he had become so bad that he was obliged to take to his bed. He had made a professional call on that morning, and on his return home, was unable to get out of his buggy unassisted. The Wednesday following, he went out into his door yard, and sank down, a helpless victim of paralysis. From that time he was never on his feet again. Dr. Beer was his physician, and on April 12th, Dr. Hayes was called. He made a careful diagnosis of the case, but failed to give the cause of sickness. Upon advice of physicians he was taken to St. Luke's Hospital, Chicago, on May 4th and ezxamined by Drs. Andrews, Brower, Hyde and Ethridge. Their opinions conflicted, no two of them agreeing. On May 14th, Dr. Marr was brought home, much improved, which condition continued for several days after his return. A change in the weather came on, which seemed to cause a change for the worse, and from that time on, he suffered untold agony. On June 30th the disease had developed so far as to enable the doctors to recognize it, and it was pronounced Pott's disease, a decay of the bone. The disease is caused by injury of the bone, and Dr. Marr's sickness is supposed to have been caused from injuries he received about a year and a half ago. While out riding with his son Glen, and when crossing the bridge just east of the residence of Oscar Peterson, his horse sprung one side, and threw the carriage into the ditch. Dr. Marr was thrown out, and in trying to save Glen, was unable to save himself, and received a wrench, which probably laid the foundation of the terrible disease which ended in his death.

During the early stages of his illness, Dr. Marr was irritable, and impatient to get back to his business, but when it became apparent that recovery was a matter of doubt, he became a changed man. He never was a church member, except in early boyhood, and had given little thought to religious matters. One evening in July, he requested his wife to repeat the Lord's prayer with him. When it was finished he exclaimed, "There, that is from the heart! I have a friend in Him, whom I have abused all my life." From that time he bore his sufferings patiently and seemed resigned. He forgave all his enemies, and wanted to be forgiven by them, and died in the firm belief that he had been forgiven by his Maker.

Dr. Marr took the degree of an entered apprentice, on March 23rd, 1878, in Calumet Lodge, No. 379, F. & A. M. and passed to the degree of a Fellow Craft, April 13, 1878. On May 11th, 1879, he was raised to the Sublime Degree of a Master Mason May 11, 1878, and was at the time of his death, Senior Deacon of the Lodge. He held the office of Secretary of the Lodge two years, in a very acceptable manner. He was also a member of the Chapter and Council at Laporte.

The above, in brief is a history of one whose name was known thoughout Northern Indiana. As a physician, Dr. Marr was a successful one. He was courageous, ambitious, impulsive, and quick-tempered. He was an inverate enemy and a firm friend. There was no middle ground for him, and he was always the first to take a position either for or against. He was in the prime of life, with a bright future before him, and had his life been spared him to the length that is usually allotted to man, he would have died wealthy. As it is he leaves his family in comfortable circumstances. By his death, the Republican party looses a powerful worker, Chesterton, a valued citizen, and his family, a kind husband and father. The afflicted family have out heartfelt sympathy.

Newspaper: The Tribune
Date of Publication: September 19, 1889
Volume Number: 6
Issue Number: 23
Page: 1
Column(s): 1 and 2

Key to Newspaper Publication Locations:
    Newspapers Published in Chesterton, Porter County, Indiana
                Chesterton Tribune
                The Tribune
                Westchester Tribune

    Newspapers Published in Valparaiso, Porter County, Indiana
                Porter County Vidette
                Practical Observer
                Valparaiso Practical Observer
                Vidette and Republic
                Western Ranger

The obituaries and death notices appearing on this website have been transcribed exactly as they were originally published in the newspaper. Please note that we do not provide photocopies or digital scans of obituaries and death notices appearing on this website.

Obituary/death notice transcribed by Steven R. Shook


CSS Template by Rambling Soul