John Gustafson, Obituary/Death NoticePorter County obituaries and death notices . . . .

John Gustafson

John Gustafson is Found Dead at his home near Salt Creek last Sunday.

On last Sunday, the neighborhood of Salt Creek was startled to hear the announcement that John Gustafson had been found dead in his home, after have been missing one week. The particulars are: One week ago last Sunday, the deceased went to a gathering of friends at his nephew's house, and was apparently in the best of health. In the evening he went home, and that was the last time he was seen alive. The following Tuesday, his son, Andrew, and another man, went to the house, and knocked at the door. Receiving no answer, they went away, remarking at the time, that it seemed strange that there were no tracks around, indicating the presence of his father. Nothing more was thought of the matter until last Sunday, when Andrew, the son, becoming uneasy at his father's long absence, again went to his house, and tried the door. Looking in the window, a sight, horrible in itself confronted him. Lying on the floor in his night clothes, was John Gustafson, stone dead. The neighbors were called in and the coroner notified. The appearance of the room indicates that just before he died, Gustafson had gotten up to build a fire, and had got it partly started. Starting towards his bed he fell backwards dead. It is very probable that this happened Sunday night, and that the body laid one week before discovery.

John Gustafson was about 58 years old at the time of his death, and lived alone for some time at Salt Creek, in a house on his son's farm. He was well known all over this section of country, and his death is mourned by a large number of relatives and friends.


Since the above was set in type, the report of the coroner's inquest finds that Mr. Gustafson came to his death by freezing. It is presumed that he tried to build a fire, and had a conjestion chill. Falling to the floor, with no help at hand, he froze to death. It is also reported that on Sunday when last seen, he borrowed a dollar of his son, to get some medicine, stating at the time that he felt badly. The money was afterwards found in his clothes.

Gustafson has been insane at one time, and was sent to the Indianapolis Insane Asylum, about six seven years ago, where he remained about a year. Although cured, in one sense of the word, he was never all right since that time.

Newspaper: The Tribune
Date of Publication: January 22, 1885
Volume Number: 1
Issue Number: 43
Page: 1
Column(s): 4

Key to Newspaper Publication Locations:
    Newspapers Published in Chesterton, Porter County, Indiana
                Chesterton Tribune
                The Tribune
                Westchester Tribune

    Newspapers Published in Valparaiso, Porter County, Indiana
                Porter County Vidette
                Practical Observer
                Valparaiso Practical Observer
                Vidette and Republic
                Western Ranger

The obituaries and death notices appearing on this website have been transcribed exactly as they were originally published in the newspaper. Please note that we do not provide photocopies or digital scans of obituaries and death notices appearing on this website.

Obituary/death notice transcribed by Steven R. Shook


CSS Template by Rambling Soul