Harry Jack Large, World War II CasualtyPorter County Data on World War II Casualties . . . .

Harry Jack Large
Ensign, US Navy
Date of Birth: May 1, 1922
Date of Death: April 10, 1945
Burial: Graceland Cemetery, Valparaiso, Porter County, Indiana
Cause of Death: Airplane Crash (violent storm forced plane down on Lido Island, Hawaiian Islands)
Hometown: Valparaiso

Newspaper Notices:

One Missing, One Dead and One Injured

A Valparaiso soldier lost his life on the western front; a Valparaiso naval flyer was reported missing after a combat mission, and a Wheeler army pilot, listed as missing, has been liberated from a German prison camp. Still another man was reported as wounded in action in the European region.

This was the price paid today by Valparaiso and Porter county in the nation's struggle for victory over her enemies in Europe and in the Pacific theater of operations.

The dead soldier is S/Sgt. William L. Young, husband of Mrs. Gretchen L. Young, 703 Franklin avenue, Valparaiso.

The missing flyer is Ensign Harry Large, son of Mr. and Mrs. Leslie Large, 662 Lincolnway, Valparaiso.

The pilot prisoner released, is 2nd Lieut. Charles Smith, 25, husband of Mrs. Lorraine Smith, of Hobart, and son of Mr. and Mrs. John I. Smith, of Wheeler.

The wounded man is Pvt. George Poparad, Jr., son of Mrs. Anna Toth, of Chesterton, RFD 1.

S/Sgt. Young was killed in action in Germany on April 2, 1945, according to a telegram received today by his wife from the secretary of war. Young was a veteran of seven years of service in the army. Besides his wife he is survived by a son, Michael William, one year old, March 17; his mother, Mrs. Jean Shogren, of St. Peter, Minn., and his grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. William Young, living in California. He was born in Valparaiso 27 years ago.

Ensign Large was reported as missing since April 10 in the South Pacific, according to a message received from the Navy department Tuesday by his parents. It marked the second time he has been missing in combat duty. The first time he was picked up on March 31, four hours after his craft had been shot down in the Pacific.

On the last mission on April 10 he failed to return and the Navy department listed him as missing. His parents received a letter posted on April 8, two days before he was reported missing.

Ensign Large was a member of the 100th Fighting Squadron of the Pacific Fleet, and had been in service two years and two months.

He was graduated from Valparaiso high school where he was a member of the school's undefeated football team, and also played at Iowa City, Ia., in 1943 with the Iowa Pre-Flight team, also undefeated that year.

2nd Lieut. Smith, news of whose release from a German prisoner camp was received from the War department by his wife and parents, was shot down in a bombing mission over Austria on Feb. 25, 1943. In a letter he wrote to his wife he stated he took a ---rain back in American lines while stepping from a train in American held territory he saw a former pal, Billy Warble, of near Wheeler, and darted out of line to greet him. The two had a talk together before Warble was due to join his outfit.

Smith, who is a pilot on a B-24 bomber, has been in the Air Corps over two years. He has been awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross, the Air Medal and two Oak Leaf clusters. He has a son, John Edward, four months, whom he has never seen.

George P. Poparad, Jr., private in the U. S. Army, was reported by the War department as wounded while fighting in the European region.
Source: The Vidette-Messenger, Valparaiso, Porter County, Indiana; April 18, 1945; Volume 18, Page 2, Column 6, and Page 3, Column 8

Legion Plans Memorial For Ens. Harry Large

The body of Ensign Harry J. Large, the first World War II deceased member of the Navy from Valparaiso to be returned from overseas for final burial, will arrive in Valparaiso within the next few weeks, it was learned today.

The body of the flyer who fell fighting in the South Pacific arrived at San Francisco on the Honda Knot last Friday, one of a contingent of 3,028 men who enlisted from each of the 48 states, the territories and some from foreign lands who gave up their lives at Pearl Harbor, and the various landings on atolls and islands.

A uniformed navy escort from the Chicago distribution center of the American graves registration division will accompany with body to Valparaiso.

Ensign Large's body was interred in the Oahu Halawa temporary cemetery in Hawaii, but was returned to this country for final interment at the request of his widow, Nadine B. Large, route 1, Lodi, Calif.

Plan Legion Rites

Charles Pratt Post 94, American Legion, of this city, has been asked to conduct the burial service. This request was conveyed to Commander O. L. Allanson, of the local post by Ralph R. Surran, commander of Lodi Post 22, American Legion, Lodi, Calif., representing Mrs. Large.

The flag under which Ensign Large served may be presented to his mother with the understanding that it will be delivered to his son, Michael Stephen Large, when he is old enough to appreciate its meaning, Commander Allanson was advised.

The remains of the late ensign will be delivered to Mr. and Mrs. Harry Leslie Large, the parents, 662 Lincolnway, Valparaiso.

Final arrangements for the funeral service will not be known until information is obtained as to the exact arrival of the body.
Source: The Vidette-Messenger, Valparaiso, Porter County, Indiana; October 13, 1947; Volume 21, Number 85, Page 1, Columns 6 and 7

Body of War Hero Is Home
Ens. Harry J. Large Memorial Plans Not Yet Completed

The body of Ens. Harry J. Large, son of Mr. and Mrs. Leslie Large, 662 West Lincolnway, was returned to Valparaiso today, transported here in a U. S. Navy hearse from Chicago.

Graduate from naval air corps training and commissioned July 27, 1944, Ens. Large served his country as a pilot in the Pacific combat zone until April 10, 1945, when he failed to return from a mission with two other planes from Honolulu to Hilo. His body was found a month later by a forest ranger in a dense section near Lido, one of the Hawaiian islands. A violent storm reportedly contributed to the tragedy.

Born May 1, 1922, Ens. Large was educated in the Valparaiso schools, where he starred in football. He attended both Valparaiso university and the University of Iowa where he was majoring in engineering.

Attended Iowa Pre-Flight

Enlisting in the U. S. Navy, he was called to active duty Feb. 3, 1943. Sent to Iowa pre-flight at the University of Iowa at Iowa City, Ens. Large, while taking his training, was also captain of the Seahawk gridders, one of the powerful football teams of the war period.

He was married to Nadine B. Frey, of Lodi, Calif., Dec. 5, 1944, and to this union one child was born, Michael Stephen. Feb. 2, 1945, he left the Continental United States for overseas duty with the fleet.

In addition to his wife, child and parents, Ens. Large is survived by a sister, Mrs. Henry J. Miller, Danville, Ind.

According to the parents, funeral arrangements, with Edmonds Brothers serving as morticians, are incomplete, pending arrival here today or Saturday of Mrs. Nadine Large, widow of the deceased.
Source: The Vidette-Messenger, Valparaiso, Porter County, Indiana; October 24, 1947; Volume 21, Number 95, Page 1, Column 5

Plan Large Rites Sunday
Military Honors Are Scheduled By Legion At Graceland

Final honors will be paid here Sunday at 2 p. m. for Ens. Harry J. Large, navy pilot of World War II, who met death on an island in the Pacific ocean.

Today the body of the young war hero is at the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Leslie Large, 662 West Lincolnway, where friends may call until 6 p. m., when the casket will be removed to the Edmonds Brothers mortuary, 55 Jefferson, where friends may pay their respected from 7:30 p. m. until time of services Sunday.

The Charles Pratt Post, American legion, will conduct special military rites at the grave in Graceland cemetery, with the Rev. Samuel Elliott, St. Andrews pastor and legion chaplain, in charge.

Escorting the body of Ens. Large to Valparaiso from Chicago was Lt. R. E. Brown, stationed at Great Lakes, himself a veteran of Pacific combat and at one time a prisoner of the Japanese. He will remain here until after the services. Also coming to attend the rites is Lt. William Kraft, Peoria, Ill., who was a classmate of the deceased at the Pensacola naval air station.

Mr. and Mrs. Henry Miller, the latter a sister of Ens. Large, have arrived from Danville, Ind., for the memorial and Mrs. Nadine Large, widow, is expected in the city Sunday morning from Lodi, Calif.
Source: The Vidette-Messenger, Valparaiso, Porter County, Indiana; October 25, 1947; Volume 20, Number 96, Page 11, Column 6

Pay Final Tribute To Ens. Large

Final tribute to Ens. Harry J. Large, son of Mr. and Mrs. Leslie Large, a navy pilot of World War II, who met death in the Pacific, was paid in rites held Sunday afternoon in the Edmonds Brothers' funeral home, 55 Jefferson street.

The services, scheduled for 2 p. m. were delayed somewhat because of the lateness of arrival of Mrs. Nadine Large, the widow, from Lodi, Calif. The plane on which she made the trip was held up because of weather conditions.

The body of the naval hero arrived here from Chicago Friday, in charge of Lt. R. E. Brown, of the Great Lakes' Naval Training station, and a veteran of Corregidor, where he was a prisoner of the Japanese. From Friday night until time of the services hundreds of persons visited the Edmonds' funeral home to pay their respects.

Services yesterday were in charge of the Rev. Oliver C. Starn of the First Presbyterian church.

Pallbearers were Lieut. R. E. Brown, Atty. Alton G. Meyer, C. Harold Lindberg, Robert Gold, Walt Weiggel and Lt. William Kraft, of Racine, Ill., a classmate of Ens. Large at the Pensacola Naval air station.

Honorary pallbearers were Kelley Gott, Jack Niksch, Eugene Hart, Gilbert Gregory and Vere Shook.

At the grave in Graceland cemetery, the Charles Pratt Post, No. 94, American Legion, conducted special military rites, with the Rev. Samuel Elliott, St. Andrews' Episcopal pastor and legion chaplain, in charge.
Source: The Vidette-Messenger, Valparaiso, Porter County, Indiana; October 27, 1947; Volume 20, Number 97, Page 2, Column 5

Return to List of Porter County World War II Casualties

Information abstracted and transcribed by Steven R. Shook


CSS Template by Rambling Soul