Gerald McGillicuddy, BiographyPorter County biographical sketches . . . .

Transcribed biography of Gerald McGillicuddy

GERALD McGILLICUDDY was born in Valparaiso, Indiana, on April 9, 1886, the son of John and Margaret (Power) McGillicuddy. John McGillicuddy established the monument business in 1876 which is now operated by Gerald McGillicuddy. The business enjoyed success from the outset, and in 1889 new buildings were erected which were devoted to the monumental department of the business. John McGillicuddy soon became widely known as a constructor of fine roads and also did much bridge construction in this region. He built the first stone bridge ever erected in this county. To John and Margaret McGillicuddy were born seven children: Frank, Walter, Gerald, Mary, Ralph, Claire, and Robert. John passed away on February 16, 1923, and his wife had died on September 5, 1921. Gerald McGillicuddy attended the schools of Valparaiso, and on the completion of his education entered the business established by his father. On the death of the latter he became the directing head of this enterprise, and has successfully managed its affairs since. His marriage was with Lillian Thune of Valparaiso on January 10, 1917, and to his marriage were born three daughters: Kathleen, Margaret, and Frances. Ralph, a brother of our subject, was a member of the Twenty-third Engineers in the war, and was in service overseas from November, 1917, to June, 1919.

Source: Cannon, Thomas H., H. H. Loring, and Charles J. Robb. 1927. History of the Lake and Calumet Region of Indiana Embracing the Counties of Lake, Porter and Laporte. Volume II. Indianapolis, Indiana: Historians' Association. 827 p.
Page(s) in Source: 639-640

This biography has been transcribed exactly as it was originally published in the source. Please note that we do not provide photocopies or digital scans of biographies appearing on this website.

Biography transcribed by Steven R. Shook


CSS Template by Rambling Soul