McGill, BiographyPorter County biographical sketches . . . .

Transcribed biography of McGill


Charles Archibald McGill, second son of Robert McGill, was born near Saegerstown, Pennsylvania, June, 1829. He was married to Mary F. Brownell at Hebron, Indiana in June, 1863. They have two children, a daughter, and a son James Henry McGill (November 13, 1869) James Henry McGill died April 26, 1948.

James H. McGill was married to Fanny Skinner (11/25/74) on November 25, 1897. They had five children, Charles S. (August 28, 1898), Rachel A. (May 23, 1900), Robert A. (November 21, 1903), Marjorie (March 30, 1907) and Mary Alice (November 19, 1913).

Charles S. McGill was married to Mary A. Crosby, daughter of Cora Belle Field (1874) and Garland Vanness Crosby on August 15, 1922. They had two children, Mary Margaret (October 10, 1923) and James C. (May 8, 1928). Mary Margaret (Molly) was married to Stanley G. Christian October 7, 1944. They had two children, Charles J. (March 30, 1946) and Susan Mary (November 18, 1948). Charles J. was married to Kathleen Haney April 22, 1972. They have one daughter, Kara Gillian Christian, born July 25, 1975. Susan Mary Christian was married to Albert N. Steele, Jr. October 5, 1974.

James C. McGill was married to Johanna Bauer November 28, 1951. They have three children, Margaret Crosby McGill (August 14, 1953), Catherine Bauer McGill (April 26, 1955) and Charles Walter McGill (May 10, 1958).

McGill Manufacturing Company, Inc. was founded near the turn of the century by the late James H. McGill in Chicago and moved to Valparaiso in 1905. The original name was The Crescent Company. The first products were essentials of the growing electrical industry such as lamp bulb guards, cord spools, drop cord adjusters, socket handies, baby gasoline torches, coloring fluid for bulbs, etc. The well-known line of Levolier switches was developed in 1918 along with the beginning of what is now the most complete line of quality stationary and portable lamp guards on the market today.

In the 1920's the McGill Metal Company was formed and made cast bronze precision ball retainers for ball bearings. In 1925 the Bearing Division was added to the company. From this beginning, came such well known trade name bearings such as MULTIROL, GUIDEROL, CAGEROL, SPHERE-ROL and NYLA-K.

The Electrical Division has expanded its product line with the addition of toggle, snap-action, rocker and push button switches as well as lamp guards, sockets, cord reels, bench lights and lamp changers. Recently McGill invaded the original equipment market, putting switches on a multitude of highly respected electrical products, including washers, dryers, ovens, fans, power tools, blenders, etc.

Since its beginning in 1905, the McGill Company has grown steadily. Today almost 1300 people in the Valparaiso, Culver and Monticello, Indiana areas take part in the production of McGill bearings and electrical products in four modern well-equipped plants. Combined sales of both Electrical and Bearing Divisions are over $40 million.

Like his father, for many years Charles S. McGill headed up the operations of the company. In February, 1976, he retired as Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer and was succeeded by his son, James C. McGill. At the present time, Charles S. McGill is Chairman of the Executive Committee of the company.

Source: American Revolution Bicentennial Committee of Porter County. 1976. A Biographical History of Porter County, Indiana. Valparaiso, Indiana: American Revolution Bicentennial Committee of Porter County, Inc. 180 p.
Page(s) in Source: 136

This biography has been transcribed exactly as it was originally published in the source. Please note that we do not provide photocopies or digital scans of biographies appearing on this website.

Biography transcribed by Steven R. Shook


CSS Template by Rambling Soul