Jasper N. Finney, BiographyPorter County biographical sketches . . . .

Transcribed biography of Jasper N. Finney


JASPER N. FINNEY, a prosperous farmer of Porter County and an old soldier of the Rebellion, is a man of much intelligence, force of character and determination. He is a descendent of Puritan stock and his remote ancestors came from Scotland and settled in Connecticut. Several members of this family served in the Revolution, and our subject's grandfather, Cyrus Finney, was a soldier in the War of 1812. Thus it will be seen that he comes of good old fighting stock. The grandfather moved from Connecticut to Western New York and followed farming until his death. Elder Finney, of Oberlin, comes from this family. Alanson Finney, the father of our subject, was born in Madison County, New York, and in 1834, when twenty-seven years of age, moved to Porter County, Indiana, then to Laporte County. He took up land, part of which is now owned by our subject, and remained on his claim two years. After this he returned to his old home and married Miss Laura Allen, whose parents were also from Connecticut, and then settled on his farm. He erected a log house, cleared a farm of 180 acres, and became one of the substantial men of his section. On this farm he passed the remainder of his days, honored and esteemed by all. He was a member of the Baptist Church in Porter County and was deacon of the same for many years. In politics he was an old line Whig. Jasper N. Finney, our subject, was born on his father's farm, November 24, 1842, and in addition to a common school education he attended the Valparaiso Male and Female College. On the 6th of August, 1862, he enlisted at Valparaiso in Company E, Fourth Indiana Cavalry, the same being organized at South Bend and mustered in the United States service at Indianapolis. Mr. Finney was in the Army of the Cumberland and fought with Sherman in the Atlanta Campaign, participating in many of the prominent engagements and numerous skirmishes. He was with Gen. Buell in driving Gen. Bragg out of Kentucky, and was after Gen. Morgan in that State. He also was engaged with and fought Forrest at Spring Hill and Rutherford Creek. Later, he took part in the Tennessee campaign with Rosecrans, and in the fall of 1863 he was in the Chickamauga battle, and still later, his command was sent to East Tennessee and assisted in the siege of Knoxville. After the siege was raised he took part in the engagements that occurred at New Market, Mossy Creek, Fair Garden and Dandridge, all in East Tennessee. The following spring he took part in the Atlanta campaign, and at Resaca he had his horse shot through the neck. Later he was in the McCook raid from Chattahoochee river to a point near Jonesboro, where his regiment expected to meet Gen. Stoneman near Newman, Georgia, where a severe battle was fought and where the regiment was surrounded; the men cut their way through and escaped. Mr. Finney's horse was killed, he was taken prisoner and for seven weeks was confined in Andersonville. He saw all its horrors and suffered intensely for want of food and shelter. Later, or after the fall of Atlanta, Gens. Sherman and Hood had an armistice and 1,800 Federal prisoners were sent to the Union lines, near Bough and Beady, Georgia, for exchange. Only 500 of them were really exchanged, the other 800 being sent back to Miller, Georgia. Mr. Finney made his escape while on the way, by breaking away from his guards and dodging into the brush. Being near the Union lines he found his way to the army that night and returned to his regiment at Cartersville, Georgia. He was at the battle of Nashville, but his company was not on the field. In the spring of 1865 he was on the Wilson raid and was in a skirmish at Montgomery, Alabama, and his was the first regiment to enter that city. Later, he was present at the capture of a fort at West Point, Georgia, (which fight took place on April 16, 1865,) where the Commanding General, Tyler, was killed, and from there went with his command to Macon, Georgia, which place surrendered. This was the close of the war. Mr. Finney was mustered out at Edgefield, Tennessee, and returned to Valparaiso July 9, 1865, having served nearly three years. He was always well, missed but one detail for duty, and was present in every fight in which his company took part. He located on the home farm in 1872, and married Miss Matilda A. Jones, daughter of John Jones. Six children were the fruits of this union: Stella M., Edith T., Leslie W., Arthur A., Earl T., and Grace M. In politics Mr. Finney is a stanch Republican and is a member of the G. A. R., having held the office of senior vice-commander. Both he and Mrs. Finney are members of the Baptist Church. Mr. Finney is a man of industry and enterprise, is a substantial farmer, and has a fine home.

Source: Goodspeed Brothers. 1894. Pictorial and Biographical Record of La Porte, Porter, Lake and Starke Counties, Indiana. Chicago, Illinois: Goodspeed Brothers. 569 p.
Page(s) in Source: 271-273

This biography has been transcribed exactly as it was originally published in the source. Please note that we do not provide photocopies or digital scans of biographies appearing on this website.

Biography transcribed by Steven R. Shook


CSS Template by Rambling Soul