Henry and Minnie Barnett, BiographyPorter County biographical sketches . . . .

Transcribed biography of Henry and Minnie Barnett


Submitted by Emma (Barnett) Spangler

It was in March, 1919 that the Barnnett family moved from Hallsville, Ill. (DeWitt Co.) to the Harry Pagin farm in Washington Twp. About four miles east of Valparaiso on State road 2, known then as Lincoln Highway. Since the goal of a high school education for each of their seven children was one of their reasons for moving, the ten room house less than a quarter mile from the Washington Twp. School was ideal. All seven children did graduate from there: James (deceased) 1922, Helen (Shobe) 1923, Edna (Henningfeld) 1926, Melvin 1928, Roger 1931, Walter 1932, Emma (Spangler) 1934. Children of the second and third generation have attended and graduated from Washington. Edna, Melvin, Walter and Emma attended Valparaiso University, Melvin and Walter graduating from there. Edna taught at the Luther School for a while.

Mr. and Mrs. Barnett were members of the First Christian Church in Valparaiso and were active in the PTA. And Farm Bureau. Minnie belonged to the Washington Twp. Ladies Club and Henry was a member of Porter Lodge # 137 F. & A.M. In the early days of the Porter Co. Fair (1926), he was president of the Fair Board. A quartet made up of Algie Kaufman, Charles Sheffield, Walter Bartz, and Henry, accompanied by Dollie Bartz, helped provide entertainment at neighboring as well as local PTA and Farm Bureau meetings.

Having more vegetables than were needed for themselves, a piano box was set up in the corner of the yard near the road and the surplus was sold at the "stand". Later, a small store and filling station replaced the piano box.

In 1935, officials of Valparaiso University were searching for a large rock to be placed on the campus and used to hold a plaque celebrating the 10th anniversary of the Lutheran University. Melvin and Walter told them of a large granite type rock that was in the pasture on their dad's farm. It was what they were looking for and was removed and placed on what is now known as the "old campus".

In 1944 Mr. and Mrs. Barnett moved to the home formerly owned by Ed. Hill, located about one mile north of Road #2, on 400E, which was known as the Blake road. The farm on Road 2 was sold to Charles Anders, who then sold the house to Sam Rudman who divided the house at the second level and moved both parts across the road, across the field and the Grand Trunk Railroad tracks to a location on the Cobb road and made two single story houses of it.

Mr. Barnett died in 1966 at the age of 86, and Mrs. Barnett in 1968 at the age of 88.

Source: American Revolution Bicentennial Committee of Porter County. 1976. A Biographical History of Porter County, Indiana. Valparaiso, Indiana: American Revolution Bicentennial Committee of Porter County, Inc. 180 p.
Page(s) in Source: 78

This biography has been transcribed exactly as it was originally published in the source. Please note that we do not provide photocopies or digital scans of biographies appearing on this website.

Biography transcribed by Steven R. Shook


CSS Template by Rambling Soul