Julius Albe, BiographyPorter County biographical sketches . . . .

Transcribed biography of Julius Albe

JULIUS ALBE - A member of the firm of Albe-Pool Company of Valparaiso, well known wholesalers of tobacco, was born April 29, 1881, in Valparaiso, on the spot now occupied by the Valparaiso National Bank. His parents were Max and Amelia Albe of New York City, both of whom were natives of Germany and settled in New York for a period of time and in 1855 came to Valparaiso. Max Albe was a fur buyer and a furrier; he did most of the fine fur work of this community, and many of the older residents recall with pleasure having worn fine furs, the products of his handicraft. Julius was the youngest of eight children born to his parents; the others are Moses, who died in infancy; Louis, Adolph, Emanuel, Samuel, Rose, and Harry.

Julius Albe was educated in the public schools of Valparaiso, and his first employment was with Mr. Sheffield in the latter's restaurant. In 1899 he went to Whiting, Indiana, where he entered the service of the Standard Oil Company; in 1904 he returned to Valparaiso and became associated with his brother Emanuel in the restaurant business. He opened a confectionery store at 157 South Franklin Street in 1908, and continued in this until 1915, at which time he sold the business to Fred Baker. In that year he engaged in the billiard parlor business, and subsequently sold a half interest to his present partner, M. G. Pool. A wholesale and jobbing business in tobacco was added in 1922, and two years later the billiard section of the business was disposed of. The firm was incorporated in 1925 with a capital stock of $17,000, and the officers are: Julius Albe, president; Rollo W. Pool, vice president; and M. G. Pool, secretary-treasurer. The trade of this business extends over seven counties in the northern part of the state, and requires up-to-date modern equipment to expedite the delivery.

Mr. Albe married Christine E., the daughter of Henry and Esther (Thompson) Holland of Boone Grove, Indiana. He is a member of the Chamber of Commerce, Masonic order, and the Elks, of which he is one of the trustees and of which he has filled all of the chairs. He served as secretary from 1912 to 1917, and as exalted ruler from 1918 to 1919; in the same year he was appointed district deputy by Frank L. Rain, grand exalted ruler, and in 1918 was appointed chaplain of the state association, serving until 1921, at which time he was elected trustee, and in 1924 was reelected for a three-year term.

Source: Cannon, Thomas H., H. H. Loring, and Charles J. Robb. 1927. History of the Lake and Calumet Region of Indiana Embracing the Counties of Lake, Porter and Laporte. Volume II. Indianapolis, Indiana: Historians' Association. 827 p.
Page(s) in Source: 229-230

This biography has been transcribed exactly as it was originally published in the source. Please note that we do not provide photocopies or digital scans of biographies appearing on this website.

Biography transcribed by Steven R. Shook


CSS Template by Rambling Soul