Historical Images of Porter County

New Central School
Valparaiso, Indiana

Date: Pre-1907, undivided back
Source Type: Postcard
Publisher, Printer, Photographer: Reading & Haase, E. C. Kropp Company
Postmark: None
Collection: Steven R. Shook
Remark: This particular site located at 305 North Franklin Avenue has been occupied by four different educational facilities; namely, the Valparaiso Collegiate Institute (1861-1871), the first Central School (1871-1903), the second Central School (1904-1938), and Central Elementary School (1938-present). The Valparaiso Collegiate Institute was a four-room structure opened by the Presbyterians in 1861. When the Valparaiso Collegiate Institute went defunct, the school trustees for the City of Valparaiso purchased from the Presbyterians the site and buildings on it for use as a public school. The construction of the original Central School took place in 1871 and it was demolished in 1904; while the original Central School structure had a handsome exterior appearance, including two 100-foot towers, it was viewed by many in the community as faulty in its construction for use as a school. The Central High School, seen here, was constructed in 1904. At the time of its construction it was considered one of the most modern schools in Indiana. The total cost of construction for the structure was $80,000. It was later destroyed by a fire in 1938. The present location is home to Central Elementary School.

Return to Valparaiso Schools Images Index
Return to Porter County Photographs & Historical Images

Please contact the Porter County GenWeb Coordinator if
you can provide any additional information concerning this image.

Image and related text prepared by Steven R. Shook


CSS Template by Rambling Soul