Historical Images of Porter County



Strongbow Inn
Valparaiso, Indiana


Date: Circa 1970s
Source Type: Postcard
Publisher, Printer, Photographer: McGrew Color Graphics (#721410)
Postmark: None
Collection: Steven R. Shook
Remark: Strongbow Inn -- Dining Room featuring our Continental menu and our traditional Turkey specialties since 1940. Located at 2405 U.S. 30 East (1/4 mile east of Valparaiso University Chapel). Valparaiso, Indiana 46383. The Strongbow Turkey Inn began operation in 1937 when Dr. Walter Thrun and his wife, Bess, moved to the Alanson Finney farm. The Thruns began breeding turkeys, which were obtained from Texas, in 1938. Bess Thrun became well known for the roses planted around the farm and restaurant. In 1986, the restaurant underwent significant changes as the kitchen was modernized and building expanded to accommodate as many as 250 patrons.

Return to Valparaiso Restaurants Images Index
Return to Porter County Photographs & Historical Images

Please contact the Porter County GenWeb Coordinator if
you can provide any additional information concerning this image.

Image and related text prepared by Steven R. Shook

 

CSS Template by Rambling Soul