Historical Images of Porter County



Memorial Opera House
Valparaiso, Indiana


Date: 1912
Source Type: Postcard
Publisher, Printer, Photographer: Elmer E. Starr (#64586)
Postmark: None
Collection: Steven R. Shook
Remark: The Memorial Opera House, named so as to commemorate the soldiers of the Civil War, was designed by Valparaiso architect Charles F. Lembke. The structure, located at 104 East Indiana Avenue, was built during 1892 and 1893. Numerous individuals of international, national, and regional fame found an audience at the Memorial Opera House. With the growth of the motion picture industry, a period of decline set in. However, the Memorial Opera House found new life in 1955 when it began to be used once again for theatrical performances. The postcard pictured here is likely commemorative representing the visit by Theodore Roosevelt in 1912, during his Bull Moose (Progressive Party) campaign for president of the United States. In the center of the stage can be seen a likeness of Roosevelt.

Return to Valparaiso Public Buildings Images Index
Return to Porter County Photographs & Historical Images

Please contact the Porter County GenWeb Coordinator if
you can provide any additional information concerning this image.

Image and related text prepared by Steven R. Shook

 

CSS Template by Rambling Soul