Historical Images of Porter County

Farmers State Bank, Across Street in Szold Building
Valparaiso, Indiana

Date: 1926
Source Type: Postcard
Publisher, Printer, Photographer: Unknown (#25)
Postmark: None
Collection: Steven R. Shook
Remark: Farmers State Bank was located on West Main Street and was destroyed by fire in 1926. The structure was originally known as Valparaiso Hall, located on the Starr and Anthony Block, and was constructed in 1864. Later, the structure was more commonly known as the Academy of Music Block. The second floor of the structure housed professional offices, while the third floor was home to the Masonic Lodge. Heineman & Sievers Rexall Drug Store shared the first floor of this structure with Farmers State Bank. The Porter County Courthouse would be located directly behind the photographer, who would have been standing on the Courthouse grounds. Prior to the construction of the Academy of Music Block, this site was the location of one of the first homes in Valparaiso, that of John Spurlock. Spurlock's home was also the location of the first session of circuit court in Porter County in October 1836, presided over by Judge Samuel C. Sample.

Return to Valparaiso Miscellaneous Images Index
Return to Porter County Photographs & Historical Images

Please contact the Porter County GenWeb Coordinator if
you can provide any additional information concerning this image.

Image and related text prepared by Steven R. Shook


CSS Template by Rambling Soul