Historical Images of Porter County
Ulrich Hotel, Long Lake
Date: Circa 1910-1920
Source Type: Postcard
Publisher, Printer, Photographer: C. R. Childs Company (#81022)
Collection: Steven R. Shook
Remark: As early as 1876, J. Hamell owned the property abutting the northwest corner of Flint Lake and the eastern shore of Long Lake. A resort was located in this area, which also included a natural channel connecting Flint Lake with Long Lake, by the early 1900s. The resort was named Hillcrest due to the fact that it was located on a hill overlooking the lakes. Included at the resort were a grocery store, soda fountain, and an interurban station located along the Valparaiso & Northern Railway. The channel between the two lake was bridged in 1923, and later the property was platted into a subdivision.
Long Lake Images
Return to Porter County Photographs & Historical Images
Please contact the Porter County GenWeb Coordinator if
you can provide any additional information concerning this image.
Image and related text prepared by Steven R. Shook