Historical Images of Porter County
Along Sheridan Beach -- Flint Lake
Date: Circa 1907-1909
Source Type: Postcard
Publisher, Printer, Photographer: Leo Lilienthal (#44-E12)
Postmark: November 9, 1909, Valparaiso, Indiana
Collection: Steven R. Shook
Remark: As early as 1876, John McQuiston owned all the land located along the east side of Flint Lake. Much of McQuiston's land was later sold to A. W. Lytle, and as early as 1895 the site was being referred to as Sheridan Beach. Edgewater Beach, located on the north shore of Flint Lake, was immediately adjacent to Sheridan Beach. The hotel at the beach was constructed in 1905; it was sold along with 47 acres of property to a retired manufacturer from Chicago name Sigmund Freund in 1906. Freund soon added running water and electricity to the resort. The resort was later purchased from Freund by the Kilmer-Fraiser Company on July 4, 1925, and the resort was renamed Blackhawk Beach Summer Resort. The resort was once again upgraded to include a roller skating facility, picnic grounds, a toboggan slide, and concession stands. The hotel was razed in 1957. The white structure partially seen to the far left edge in this image was the Edgewater Beach Hotel.
Flint Lake, Blackhawk, Edgewater, and Sheridan Beach Images
Return to Porter County Photographs & Historical Images
Please contact the Porter County GenWeb Coordinator if
you can provide any additional information concerning this image.
Image and related text prepared by Steven R. Shook