Historical Images of Porter County

First Presbyterian Church
Valparaiso, Indiana

Date: 1924
Source Type: Photograph
Publisher, Printer, Photographer: Dodge's Telegraph, Railway Accounting and Radio (Wireless) Institute
Postmark: Not applicable
Collection: Steven R. Shook
Remark: Located on the southwest corner of Jefferson Street and Franklin Street, the First Presbyterian Church was constructed in 1881. The church was later razed and the site was converted to a parking lot. The land on which the church stood was originally the home site of Dr. Seneca Ball. In 1837, Dr. Ball constructed a small building behind his residence that was used as the first school house in Center Township. The first teacher at this school as a Miss Eldred, sister of Mrs. Phebe (Eldred) Starr. Harry E. Ball and Sylvester W. Smith later taught at this school before it was abandoned for school use. Dr. Ball later used the structure for the storage of wood. During Indiana's centennial year in 1916, the Porter County Historical Society erected a marker commemorating this first school in Center Township. The marker was erected on the northwest corner of the church property and was formally dedicated on September 27, 1916.

Return to Valparaiso Churches Images Index
Return to Porter County Photographs & Historical Images

Please contact the Porter County GenWeb Coordinator if
you can provide any additional information concerning this image.

Image and related text prepared by Steven R. Shook


CSS Template by Rambling Soul