Historical Images of Porter County

Home of Valparaiso Woman's Club
Valparaiso, Indiana

Date: Circa 1930s
Source Type: Postcard
Publisher, Printer, Photographer: Unknown
Postmark: None
Collection: Steven R. Shook
Remark: Dr. D. J. Loring constructed and operated the Loring Hospital in 1891 on East Jefferson Street in Valparaiso. The hospital could accommodate up to twelve patients and was the first hospital to operate in Porter County. In 1906, the Loring Hospital was purchased by the National Benevolent Association, located in St. Louis, the local Christian Church. After this sale, Dr. Loring purchased the Hamel property located on the northeast corner of Jefferson and Washington Streets in Valparaiso and erected a second hospital. Following the death of Dr. Loring, Dr. J. R. Pagin purchased the property, later selling it too the Elks Lodge. After two years of ownership, the Elks Lodge sold the second Loring Hospital to the Valparaiso Women's Club. Thus, the home of the Valparaiso Women's Club was the location of the second hospital to operate in Porter County.

Return to Valparaiso Businesses Images Index
Return to Porter County Photographs & Historical Images

Please contact the Porter County GenWeb Coordinator if
you can provide any additional information concerning this image.

Image and related text prepared by Steven R. Shook


CSS Template by Rambling Soul