Historical Images of Porter County

The Lightcap Company, Books & Student Supplies
Valparaiso, Indiana

Date: 1898
Source Type: Photograph
Publisher, Printer, Photographer: Headlight Engraving Company
Postmark: Not applicable
Collection: Steven R. Shook
Remark: Published in "Headlight: Sights and Sounds Along the Grand Trunk Railway," Volume 3, Number 6. First operated as a bookstore by William J. Lightcap, the Lightcap Company building later became the Brown and Gold Coffee Shop, brown and gold being Valparaiso University's colors. The building was located directly across the street from the University Auditorium and was frequented by university faculty and students. Interestingly, the building reverted back to its original use as a bookstore. The structure was converted into the Faculty Club in 1960, but later razed in 1986.

Return to Valparaiso Businesses Images Index
Return to Porter County Photographs & Historical Images

Please contact the Porter County GenWeb Coordinator if
you can provide any additional information concerning this image.

Image and related text prepared by Steven R. Shook


CSS Template by Rambling Soul