Historical Images of Porter County

Foster Lumber and Coal Company
Valparaiso, Indiana

Date: 1911
Source Type: Photograph
Publisher, Printer, Photographer: Joseph Decker
Postmark: Not applicable
Collection: Steven R. Shook
Remark: A man by the name of Kirk and the Henderlong brothers began manufacturing molding and millwork at the corner of Weston Street and West Chicago Street during the 1870s. The Henderlong interests were purchased by Kirk in 1896, and Charles Foster, Senior, was hired as an architect at the company. The company was renamed as Kirk & Foster Builders in 1897. Upon Kirk's death, the company was reorganized under the name of Foster Lumber & Coal Company, with Charles Foster serving as president, Jerry Foster as vice-president, and Harry E. Smith as secretary-treasurer. The company ceased operations in 1983. The Porter County court house was rebuilt after the 1934 fire by the Foster Lumber & Coal Company.

Return to Valparaiso Businesses Images Index
Return to Porter County Photographs & Historical Images

Please contact the Porter County GenWeb Coordinator if
you can provide any additional information concerning this image.

Image and related text prepared by Steven R. Shook


CSS Template by Rambling Soul