Historical Images of Porter County

Main Building
Valparaiso, Indiana

Date: 1909
Source Type: Postcard
Publisher, Printer, Photographer: M. E. Bogarte Book Company
Postmark: May 7, 1909, Valparaiso, Indiana
Collection: Steven R. Shook
Remark: This image shows the original campus building of the Valparaiso Male and Female College, which was founded by the Methodist Church and operated between 1859 to 1871. The college went defunct in 1871 and was closed for approximately two years, reopening in 1873 as the Northern Indiana Normal School and Business Institute. The original large brick structure consisted of the center portion of the building between two towers. The east wing and its tower, directly above the doorway seen here, were erected in 1867. The structure was destroyed on February 15, 1923, by a fire originating from an overheated stove.

Return to Valparaiso University Old College Building and Valparaiso Male and Female College Images Index
Return to Porter County Photographs & Historical Images

Please contact the Porter County GenWeb Coordinator if
you can provide any additional information concerning this image.


CSS Template by Rambling Soul