Historical Images of Porter County
Old College Bldg.
Source Type: Photograph
Publisher, Printer, Photographer: Charles Gotthard Erickson, Marshall Photo
Postmark: Not applicable
Collection: Steven R. Shook
Remark: This image shows the east wing entrance of the original campus building of the Valparaiso Male and Female College, which was founded by the Methodist Church and operated between 1859 to 1871. The college went defunct in 1871 and was closed for approximately two years, reopening in 1873 as the Northern Indiana Normal School and Business Institute. The original large brick structure consisted of the center portion of the building between two towers. The east wing and its tower, directly above the doorway seen here, were erected in 1867. The structure was destroyed on February 15, 1923, by a fire originating from an overheated stove. The brick structure in the background is East Hall.
University Old College Building and Valparaiso Male and Female College Images
Return to Porter County Photographs & Historical Images
Please contact the Porter County GenWeb Coordinator if
you can provide any additional information concerning this image.