Historical Images of Porter County

Old College Building, Valparaiso University
Valparaiso, Indiana

Date: 1913
Source Type: Postcard
Publisher, Printer, Photographer: Charles W. Beam, Curt Teich (#W-41908)
Postmark: August 2, 1915, Valparaiso, Indiana
Collection: Steven R. Shook
Remark: This postcard was distributed by the Woolworth Company, thus the "W" for the card number. This image shows the original campus building of the Valparaiso Male and Female College, which was founded by the Methodist Church and operated between 1859 to 1871. The college went defunct in 1871 and was closed for approximately two years, reopening in 1873 as the Northern Indiana Normal School and Business Institute. The original large brick structure consisted of the center portion of the building between the two towers. The tower and east wing to the left in this image were erected in 1867, while the tower and west wing to the right were added later. The structure shown here, with its several additions, was destroyed on February 15, 1923, by a fire originating from an overheated stove.

Return to Valparaiso University Old College Building and Valparaiso Male and Female College Images Index
Return to Porter County Photographs & Historical Images

Please contact the Porter County GenWeb Coordinator if
you can provide any additional information concerning this image.


CSS Template by Rambling Soul