Historical Images of Porter County

Heritage Hall, Valparaiso University
Valparaiso, Indiana

Date: Circa 1965
Source Type: Postcard
Publisher, Printer, Photographer: Bob Wyer Photocards (#VAL-55, #77447-B)
Postmark: None
Collection: Steven R. Shook
Remark: Originally named Flint Hall, this structure was built as a three story building in 1875 and served as a boarding house. However, a fire in 1879 destroyed much of the third floor. Music Professor Richard A. Heritage then purchased the damaged structure in 1879. In remodeling the structure after the fire, the third floor was removed and a flat roof was placed over the second story. The hall was then renamed Heritage Hall. The structure served as the university library from 1925 to 1946. Professor Richard A. Heritage served as head of the Music Department at Valparaiso University from 1877 to 1894.

Return to Valparaiso University Graland, Greenwich, Guild & Memorial, and Heritage Halls Images Index
Return to Porter County Photographs & Historical Images

Please contact the Porter County GenWeb Coordinator if
you can provide any additional information concerning this image.


CSS Template by Rambling Soul