Historical Images of Porter County

Eiss Hall, Valparaiso University
Valparaiso, Indiana

Date: Circa 1905
Source Type: Photograph
Publisher, Printer, Photographer: Unknown
Postmark: Not Applicable
Collection: Steven R. Shook
Remark: Eiss Hall was constructed by Dr. Daniel W. Eiss in 1889 as a boarding hall for students attending the Northern Indiana Normal School and Business Institute, which later became known as Valparaiso University. The structure contained nearly sixty rooms.

By 1916, Eiss Hall, still owned by Dr. Eiss, was in rather poor repair and rumors circulated that the building would soon be razed and replaced by a four story brick structure equipped with a gym. Students had even boycotted the building and placed signs on the premises warning others not to live in the structure due to its derelict conduction.

On July 10, 1917, Eiss Hall, as well as Vineyard Hall, were completed destroyed by fire. Four firefighters from Valparaiso's Company L were injured in the blaze. Fireman James Henry Jacoby had to be carried out on Vineyard Hall on a cot. His colleagues, Floyd LePell and John Holman, suffered burnt hands, while William B. Forney, another fireman, was overcome with smoke.

Return to Valparaiso University Commercial, Dau, Dodge, East, and Eiss Halls Images Index
Return to Porter County Photographs & Historical Images

Please contact the Porter County GenWeb Coordinator if
you can provide any additional information concerning this image.


CSS Template by Rambling Soul