Historical Images of Porter County

Mineral Springs Race Course. 1st "Defy." [Robbins.] 2nd "Jim Ray." [Mundon.] 3rd "Pretend." [Feeney.]
Porter, Indiana

Date: 1912
Source Type: Postcard
Publisher, Printer, Photographer: Gus Lawson
Postmark: None
Collection: Steven R. Shook
Remark: Armanis F. Knotts developed property along the Little Calumet River with summer cottages that included mineral springs. He named his resort Knotts Mineral Springs. Knotts also bottled the water from the springs, branded with the resort's name, and sold it to guests at his resort and in Chesterton. Knotts expanded his investment in the area to include horse racing, when in 1912 he organized the Racing Foundation Corporation of America, which was more commonly referred to as the Mineral Springs Jockey Club. The Mineral Springs horse track was located in the west one-half of the southwest quarter of Section 34. The state of Indiana permanently closed the race track in 1913 since it violated state gambling laws. Historical information concerning the Mineral Springs Horse Racing Track can be found in the following New York Times article titled "Indiana Soldiers Seize a Race Track; With Fixed Bayonets Prevent Racing at Mineral Springs and Drive Away Spectators," published on page 10 of the Wednesday, October 23, 1912, issue.

Return to Porter Mineral Springs Horse Racing Track Images Index
Return to Porter County Photographs & Historical Images

Please contact the Porter County GenWeb Coordinator if
you can provide any additional information concerning this image.

Image and related text prepared by Steven R. Shook


CSS Template by Rambling Soul