Historical Images of Porter County

Former World's Fair Saloon
Porter, Indiana

Date: Circa 1900
Source Type: Photograph
Publisher, Printer, Photographer: Unknown
Postmark: Not Applicable
Collection: Gordon D. Rogers
Remark: The business on the right with the large windows was formerly called the World's Fair Saloon; John Czizek was the proprietor of this saloon until is death in 1898.

Note the two dogs and the bird (raven or hawk?).

According to the Bumstead Porter County Business Directory, three saloons were operating in Porter in 1905. These saloons were operated by Frank Foss, G. H. Johnson, and F. W. Sievert. It is unknown which of these three men were operating the saloon above. It is possible that after John Czizek's death that the saloon was converted to a cafeteria/restaurant and boarding house. The Bumstead Directory, however, does not provide any evidence of a boarding house operating in Porter in 1905.

Source: Bumstead & Co. 1905. Bumstead's Valparaiso City and Porter County Business Directory Including Rural Routes, Volume III. Chicago, Illinois: Bumstead & Co. 421 p.

Return to Porter Businesses Images Index
Return to Porter County Photographs & Historical Images

Please contact the Porter County GenWeb Coordinator if
you can provide any additional information concerning this image.

Image and related text prepared by Steven R. Shook


CSS Template by Rambling Soul