Historical Images of Porter County

Presbyterian Church, Hebron, Ind.
Hebron, Indiana

Date: Circa 1910
Source Type: Postcard
Publisher, Printer, Photographer: AZO
Postmark: None
Collection: Steven R. Shook
Remark: The "Old School" Presbyterian Church in Hebron was organized at the Hebron school house on October 29, 1860, with Reverend J. L. Lower as its first pastor. The church building seen here, located at 108 South Adams Street, was originally a school house which was purchased by the congregation from the Sigler Brothers in June of 1873 for $350. The church was commonly referred to as the "Little Presbyterian" since an Associate Reform Presbyterian church building (later called the United Presbyterian Church) was also located in town. Membership in the "Old School" Presbyterian Church peaked in 1876 with about forty members, membership dwindling to just twenty-five members in 1912. Between 1912 and 1916, services were provided by students of the Presbyterian Theological Seminary at Chicago. In March 1916, a few months after services had completely ceased at the church, the following individuals were elected as trustees to dispose of the church property: Martin Nichols, George Sweney, and L. A. Fry. Most of the belongings of the church were placed in the Presbyterian Church located at Lake Village, Newton County, Indiana. The church was altered into a home, one of the former residents being Alta Wilson.

Return to Hebron Churches Images Index
Return to Porter County Photographs & Historical Images

Please contact the Porter County GenWeb Coordinator if
you can provide any additional information concerning this image.

Image and related text prepared by Steven R. Shook


CSS Template by Rambling Soul