Historical Images of Porter County

The Brick School, Pine Township, Built in 1883
Furnessville, Indiana

Date: Circa 1919
Source Type: Photograph
Publisher, Printer, Photographer: Marie Lisle
Postmark: Not applicable
Collection: Trent D. Pendley
In 1883, Pine Township Trustee, William Lewry, Sr., a Furnessville merchant and Democrat erected the first brick schoolhouse in his district. The structure was known thereafter as "The Brick School" and served as a public building for about forty-seven years until burning in 1930. The structure was physically located in the southeast quarter of the southeast quarter of section 22 in Pine Township, essentially in the center of the the township. Schoolteacher Marie Lisle, of Valparaiso, took this photograph circa 1919 while she taught at the rural school. Marie eventually married George Lewry (1894-1930) and retired from teaching with her first pregnancy in 1921.

Return to Furnessville Images Index
Return to Porter County Photographs & Historical Images

Please contact the Porter County GenWeb Coordinator if
you can provide any additional information concerning this image.

Image and related text prepared by Steven R. Shook


CSS Template by Rambling Soul