Historical Images of Porter County

Bailly Cemetery, Prior to Being Infilled
Baillytown, Indiana

Date: 1910
Source Type: Photograph
Publisher, Printer, Photographer: John O. Bowers
Postmark: Not Applicable
Collection: Steven R. Shook
Remark: In 1914, Frances Rose Howe, sister of Rose, had Theodore Stephens of nearby Chesterton erect a concrete block wall around the existing iron-spiked wall that was constructed around the burial ground in 1885 (wall visible in this image). Ms. Howe's goal was to control entry into the cemetery. At this time stairs were erected on the north side of the cemetery and an ornamental railing installed on the original 1885 wall. The plaques installed in 1885, one of which is visible in the center of this image, were moved from inside the wall to the outside of the wall, and the interior of the enclosed wall area was filled with sand. Stations of the Cross, also visible in this image, were set into wooden cabinets and mounted in limestone; these were reportedly buried in the sand. During the 1914 renovations and construction, numerous graves were uncovered and reportedly moved just outside of the new construction.

Return to Baillytown Images Index
Return to Porter County Photographs & Historical Images

Please contact the Porter County GenWeb Coordinator if
you can provide any additional information concerning this image.

Image and related text prepared by Steven R. Shook


CSS Template by Rambling Soul